what is the best seahorse/pipefish for my tank if i were to get one in the future?

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i have a very VERY small nano reef tank which is 2 gallons (yeah i know its small) and have always been interested in seahorses and pipefish are absolutely amazing. i have dealt with wild pipefish while doing marine research for a college... I'm not in college... any ways, my tank has a couple very small colonies of zoanthids and a tiny colony of green stars and will be getting a frag of some torch coral too soon. if i were to get a pipefish or seahorse, what would be best for my tiny little tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would not be able to sustain the pod population for a pipefish in that tank. A seahorse would also be a bad choice in my opinion as they need to be fed a few timed a day (depends on the species) and leave a lot of leftover food which would create too much waste too fast

OP
OP
Reefyyy

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would not be able to sustain the pod population for a pipefish in that tank. A seahorse would also be a bad choice in my opinion as they need to be fed a few timed a day (depends on the species) and leave a lot of leftover food which would create too much waste too fast
ok thanks! i was just wondering because i love both but wasn't intending on getting one because i know they are very high maintenance so i was just wondering. thanks for the info though! i will stick to wild pipefish! :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks! i was just wondering because i love both but wasn't intending on getting one because i know they are very high maintenance so i was just wondering. thanks for the info though! i will stick to wild pipefish! :)

I do love those little aquatic noddles haha

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still say a bad idea because of that small of a water volume and the torch coral. As for pipefish, as stated above, too small for a decent pod amount to feed. As for seahorses, they swim more vertically as opposed to horizontally, so they require a taller tank. A 2 gallon is not tall enough imo

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the torch coral would change things. But dwarf seahorses grow to less than 2 inches, and you can house several in a 2 gallon.
I'm aware, but seeing as the difficulty and the experience of most, I'm saying I wouldnt advise them trying that or the suggestion. They can do as they please, but just giving my 2 cent. I wouldnt make suggestions or recommendations of a critter of more difficulty to someone who's potentially not had the experience or unfamiliar of the difficulty for sake of their bank account and more important the health of the animal. Again, just my opinion

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, theyd probably have to change type of filtration with minimal flow, acquire a decent setup for some good solid food (especially if they are finicky and decide not to eat something frozen or dry), and it sounds more like a complete revamp. With that small of a water volume, it may also be unforgiving with the fluctuations of water parameters whereas something along a 10 gallon tank Is approximately a fifth of the variation. Can it be done? I'd say it can if they are dedicated to learning and proper researching what it takes to make them survive and grow. Do I advise? I wouldnt unless they were dedicated to solely pursuing the species specific tank. As for the original thread poster, @Reefyyy, I'd suggest heading towards the idea of a small clown goby, panda goby, or citron goby if fish are wanted to be added. Not to mention some of the coral and invert only vase that people have been posting lately that are really rather ****** tbh. It all depends on what route youd like to go. Happy reefing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back