What is the best time to dose Alk/Calcium?

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background
I have a BioCube 32 with four fish, a couple of inverts and a variety of LSP and soft corals. This is my first tank, and it has been up and running for almost 3 years. Through trial and error, I have discovered the tank needs about 5 mL of B-Ionic ESV Alk and Calcium every 24 hours to maintain the proper levels. I add the doses in the evening when the white lights are off, but the blue lights are still running.

I recently purchased 2 BRS dosing pumps and an electronic timer and am interested in when would be the ideal time to dose my 2 Part each day. I understand the electronic timer can be set to turn on/off by the second.

I may be overthinking this, but I would like to maximize the pH stability with the dosing, if possible.

Questions
- Should I continue to dose both Alk and Calcium at the same time when the whites go off?

- Would it be more desirable to spread the doses out throughout the night? If so, what is the best spread?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose throughout the day at about 30 minutes apart. Whatever times you decide upon, just be sure to dose them far apart. I would dose Alk during the night and Ca during the day.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk first thing in the am as early as possible, ph naturally lowers while lights are out. Calc 12 hours from alk, if you’re dosing them at the same time you’re going to have precipitation and your sand bed is going to turn rock hard if you have one

OP
OP
tanked4u

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

My blue lights turn on at 11AM, and the whites turn on at noon.

So for example, I should add the 5ml of Alk around 6AM and add the 5ml of Calc at 6PM?

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Alk 12am-5am, and spread the dose out to dose once an hour during that timeframe. I have the Kamoer X1 pro so programming how much to dose is simple. Type in the amount to dose and over what timeframe it does the rest.

OP
OP
tanked4u

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I also just came across this article on the topic:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For alkalinity stability it makes sense to dose it during periods that it is consumed, ie, when DT lights are on.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk doses between midnight and 4 am... it's down to two short doses on the BRS 1.1. I set it up on the KASA smart strip. I have it timed that it runs for about 6 minutes each dose. The calcium has been very stable and the dosing ran it high, so it is on a break right now. It was dropping at noon. I changed salt, so I will be dropping the alk dosing back also. Like everything else, regular testing helps you know if you are dialed in correctly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back