What is the best way to connect rock?

Discussion in 'Aquascape Discussion' started by IzzyT3, Nov 7, 2018.

1. IzzyT3

IzzyT3 Member R2R Supporter

Looking at making a nice design for some live rock and see that some people use cement, while most others use some kind of glue or other adhesive.

What give the best appearance as your tank is in the earlier stages and you can see a lot of bare rock exposed? I'm thinking cement is more robust and will have the strongest hold, but glue may look better.

Any thoughts on this? I'm looking to create an arch and a mini cave like structure within a 120gallon tank.

Tags:

2. fabutahoun

fabutahoun Angels and Acros R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

For arch I recommend drilling the rocks and insert acrylic rods and then add reef cement or 2 parts epoxy, this will make the arch structure more stable. it is a lot easier to do this using dry rocks and leave the arch structure dry completely before it goes inside the water, reef cement will be very messy if you are going to attach rock with cement underwater.

3. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor

Always think about having to remove a piece of rock for some reason in the future. I have seen so many people do these elaborate rock work pieces. Then have problems removing them after they have a maintenance issue with their aquarium.

PDR, lapin, WVNed and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

Two sides of the same coin :rolleyes: I agree that the acrylic rods will be the strongest setup, but if this is your first tank its more likely you'll need to do some tweaking around and the option to move the rock will come in handy

5. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have always just stacked my rock for easy future removal .

PDR, lapin, LetItReef and 4 others like this.
  6. Gonzo74

Gonzo74 Nibbling on sponge cake... R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

I

I drilled holes and used long black zip ties. After a while, the zip tie gets covered by algae (good or bad) and you can't see it. My aquascape will NOT fall apart. I lifted it once and it lifted as a whole.

7. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

Nice, I've heard of this too but forgot about it. This method will actually come in handy for my future project

norfolkgarden likes this.
  8. IzzyT3

Thank you all. I'm going to be shopping for some zipties and acrylic tubing this weekend. I'm going to see if I can get opaque zip ties so they are a little more hidden.

9. IzzyT3

I've had some rocks in my tanks, but nothing as designed as I want with this current set up. Normally I get pretty rocks and just try to stack them and keep it stable that way. Now I want to have a custom look where stack wouldn't really be an option.

Oscaror likes this.
  10. Oscaror

If you have a specific goal in mind, seal that rock together so tight nothing could break it apart. As long as you're confident that it's the right ting to do do it ;)

11. IzzyT3

I've seen some horrible cement jobs that scare me away from doing it. I am going to make this set up look as neat as possible. If I see cement clearly visible or zip ties OCD will kick in and I'll go crazy. lol I'm never sure if something is right or not and my wife will more than likely change her mind mid build so that will be fun as well.

Behnken and Oscaror like this.
  12. Oscaror

Well you say you want it fixed in place, I recommend the acrylic tube + cement method (unless it doesn't work for your scape)

13. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

I keep gorilla gel glue handy and use it for the initial hold. I let it dry for 24 hours then use the reef putty anywhere 2 different rocks touch each other. If you have some crushed rock rubble or even sand, you can push it into the putty so it blends right into the rock.

14. Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals Active Member

E-Marco 400 hands down. In a few months it will look just like your rock.

azbigjohn and norfolkgarden like this.
  15. roberthu526

roberthu526 Valuable Member

Jurassic glue with the accelerator worked wonders for me. It literally dry and hardened within seconds.

16. azbigjohn

azbigjohn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I second the Marco Rocks E400 hydraulic cement.

Once it sets, it makes it solid as a single rock.

17. Insane320

Insane320 Active Member

Zip tie racing is well known in my area.LOL

Jason_J and Oscaror like this.
  18. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

carefully. LOL

seems like glue and plastic rods are the best route

19. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

If someone can do this, SO CAN WE !!!

20. DHill6

DHill6 Active Member

Drilled holes, Jurassic glue,accelerator and hard tubing from BRS. The tubing had less give than the rods. Pinned it together. For minimal aquascape this was my conclusion.