What is the best way to feed my Chocolate Chip Starfish if fish in the tank try to steal his food?

CrimsonMask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I've recently upgraded to a 75 gallon system and moved my fish into there. The other day my sister bought me a Chocolate Chip Starfish, who has since been named Ron Swanson, and I now face a dilemma. I've been hand feeding him mysis shrimp and carnivore formulas, because my other fish are pigs and will eat literally everything I put in there, not leaving enough for him to get to. I was wondering if there's a better way to go about this process? I was thinking of maybe making some sort of holder for his food, like a veggie clip for starfish if that makes any sense, so it is more confined to his preferred area of the tank. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try small piece if clam, give the star a chance to latch on. Make sure it is eaten so any unbeaten food does not foul the tank. You should be able to train him.
You may already know this but Chocolate Stars are not reef safe, they will eat corals.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed my chocolate starfish kenya trees, rods frozen krill, and even have a picture of it eating sea lettuce! ~Shaun K
hungry starfish.jpg

OP
OP
CrimsonMask

CrimsonMask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your replies, I don't have any corals in my system so it's all good there. I will try clam for him and see how he does.

talker000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I've recently upgraded to a 75 gallon system and moved my fish into there. The other day my sister bought me a Chocolate Chip Starfish, who has since been named Ron Swanson, and I now face a dilemma. I've been hand feeding him mysis shrimp and carnivore formulas, because my other fish are pigs and will eat literally everything I put in there, not leaving enough for him to get to. I was wondering if there's a better way to go about this process? I was thinking of maybe making some sort of holder for his food, like a veggie clip for starfish if that makes any sense, so it is more confined to his preferred area of the tank. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I have a chocolate chip and every 3 days I stick a tiny piece of frozen shrimp at his mouth when he is at top of the tank. If he hungry he takes it. If not he will move on and let it fall to bottom then the crabs get it

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back