What is the best way to get rid of Dino’s?

Himmat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the past few weeks I have noticed a film on my sand. I thought it might be diatoms but today I noticed it had bubbles it it leading me to believe I’m dealing with Dino’s. I know what caused it as my nitrates are 0. I began dosing them. What else can I do to get rid of them?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Vibrant, IMO. Isn't that something that drives nitrate down?

Just stay calm and let the tank become more rich in nutrients, by dosing and/or by less skimming. Avoid all big changes and let the tank settle itself while keeping an eye on NO4 and PO4. And let the nutrients go up slowly. Aim for +2ppm NO3 in a week or two and try to stay at a number between 2 and 5 ppm. Make sure PO4 isn't too low.
That's my advices anyway :)

Good luck!

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention patience! :D

IMO if your are looking for a quick fix, you'll end up with other issues sooner or later. Figure out why they come (in your case it sounds like low nutrients, perhaps a new tank or new sand?), then try to fix the cause slowly. Often the tank go itself to a more stable condition. Hard to explain, but many times giving a reef tank time is the best thing to do IMO. Of course keeping the water parameters good too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ouch - no vibrant !!! No nopox either as they are fuel to feed the dino !
Give tank a good siphoning and turn off lights for 5 days. Add at Night 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons to the tank. Each day siphon and during day add 1ml of liquid bacteria such as bacter 7 to the tank. 5th should be clear of dino. Feed tank food as normal during treatment.

kkoranda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal, lots of filtration, water changes, and maintaining good water chemistry! No easy solution to that...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. lol Seriously none of the above will work, get some real advice from people who have successfully beat them back, and have planned out treatment protocols.

Scroll down to the algae section, and have a read through the HUGE dino thread. First step in eradication is IDing what type of dino's you have as every species has a different way to eradicate them.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or watch the BRS video's, purchase a bunch of crap that doesn't work, then return to the dino thread to see what actually works.

While BRS video's are pretty decent, I liken them to an LFS. Ultimately they produce video's to get you to buy things. People buy into the BRS video's lock stock and barrel. I for one take them with a grain of salt.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. lol Seriously none of the above will work, get some real advice from people who have successfully beat them back, and have planned out treatment protocols.

Scroll down to the algae section, and have a read through the HUGE dino thread. First step in eradication is IDing what type of dino's you have as every species has a different way to eradicate them.
Wow. It was a while since someone wrote me off like that :)

You don't think it's a good idea to listen to people who's not having problems and see what they do to not get into problem with dinoflagellates? How do you know I haven't dealt with dinoflagellates? :)

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right if we are talking about @Sallstrom - it will not go a day without me telling him that he has no clue of what he is doing :D The best prove is the pudding and therefore i will recommend his thread

It´s 116 pages showing his incompetence in every page :D

But I will stop to be ironical and pulling Davids legs :p - Instead I will ask you not to attack people that you not have any clue where their competence coming from.

Sincerely Lasse

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. It was a while since someone wrote me off like that :)

You don't think it's a good idea to listen to people who's not having problems and see what they do to not get into problem with dinoflagellates? How do you know I haven't dealt with dinoflagellates? :)
I guess I didn't mean to discount you, or your trials and tribulations. By all means usually raising nutrients gets rid of the dino's. My suggestion(after admittingly just browsing the above suggestions) was to just have a read through the dino thread with known, proven results.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. It was not meant to in any way.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right if we are talking about @Sallstrom - it will not go a day without me telling him that he has no clue of what he is doing :D The best prove is the pudding and therefore i will recommend his thread

It´s 116 pages showing his incompetence in every page :D

But I will stop to be ironical and pulling Davids legs :p - Instead I will ask you not to attack people that you not have any clue where their competence coming from.

Sincerely Lasse
I did not attack anyone. I simply suggested to read through a thread where there are proven results. What was attacking about that? Ok, maybe I suggested to disregard any of the above information(could have been seen as a personal attack, but it was not meant to be), but it was to just steer the OP to the appropriate thread with proven results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I wiped out a huge outbreak of dino in my 660g in 5 days. The peroxide method I mentioned DID work and had has worked for many that I suggested it to.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just get over the Dino out break in my tank. What I did was follow the dr Tim’s Dino cure and raised my temp to 82. It’s been a long 3 week process but I am happy to say there is only little traces here and there but you have to be looking for them. My outbreak was bad all over the sand and rocks. Just be patient and you will over come them. Just wanted to share my experience with them.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I didn't mean to discount you, or your trials and tribulations. By all means usually raising nutrients gets rid of the dino's. My suggestion(after admittingly just browsing the above suggestions) was to just have a read through the dino thread with known, proven results.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. It was not meant to in any way.
No worries. I was just a bit surprised :)
Thank you for your reply.

Back