What is the best way to set up a second P4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL PROBLEMS UP TO POST #14 HAVE BEEN SOLVED !!

I now have 2 homes where I will spend 6 mo in FL and 6 mo in Rhode Island. I have aquariums set up in both homes and a P4 in FL.
Today, I am starting to set up a new P4, using GCC, in the R.I. home and am wondering how to start. Is there a way to use the same GCC program (i.e. with same GHL icon on PC)? Do I open a new account with GHL? I guess with the App, I can have both systems on the same App but will work on that after I'm set up on the PC.

Not sure if it is important to mention this, but after being in R.I. for only 2 weeks, my KH Director in FL leaked and burned out my P4 so that system is ruined and not working. (I sent digital timers to a friend to transfer essential components until I get back to FL in 4-5 months). Hopefully, the P4 can be repaired so I want to keep all the settings until I find out if that will be possible.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can have multiple inside the computer.

How are you connecting to the two devices? Are you doing IP address or USB cable?

If it is going to be USB then all you need to be mindful of is when you backup each system you name the backup files for the system your backing up, and change the COM port when it connects via USB as it could be different for each device (Normally no) because I do this all the time.

If your going to connect to the device via IP address and it two different IP address, you can add the first device with it IP address, and then add the secondary device and label as such.

Attachments

• help1.PNG
    help1.PNG
    68.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can have multiple inside the computer.

How are you connecting to the two devices? Are you doing IP address or USB cable?

If it is going to be USB then all you need to be mindful of is when you backup each system you name the backup files for the system your backing up, and change the COM port when it connects via USB as it could be different for each device (Normally no) because I do this all the time.

If your going to connect to the device via IP address and it two different IP address, you can add the first device with it IP address, and then add the secondary device and label as such.
I am connected with a USB cable so I'm guessing that will be easiest. I'm just starting to read the RESOURCES manual again. It's been 2.5 yrs since I set one up and don't remember much about doing it!

I just turned on everything and I am connected! If you can easily tell me the order of things to be done, that would be much appreciated: I vaguely remember connecting each component via USB. (I have a Stand Alone Doser that I know I have to switch to Slave; I have instructions for that). I probably need to update Firmware but forget where to look for must current one and the one I have, but will explore that now. Will follow RESOURCES manual

Thanks for helping, Ditto.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem:

Latest version of GCC is here:

This will have the Firmware you need for the doser also. If it is a Stand Alone doser you can connect to it also via USB and update it that way they change it to slave.

You should also update the Wireless Firmware and the Web Pages for the P4, since this is a new install I find it just easier to do this using the emergency tool. I know you can do it via the web interface but your already connected to it via the USB cable and this tool does it quickly.

How many devices you plan to connect?

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem:

This will have the Firmware you need for the doser also. If it is a Stand Alone doser you can connect to it also via USB and update it that way they change it to slave.

You should also update the Wireless Firmware and the Web Pages for the P4, since this is a new install I find it just easier to do this using the emergency tool. I know you can do it via the web interface but your already connected to it via the USB cable and this tool does it quickly.

I'm trying to udate the Firmware to Version 1.1.3.7. The "USBVCOM" does not appear under "Ports (Com + LPT). It says if it doesn't appear, go to "C: Program file x86/GHLControlCenter V1137.....USBDirectProgrammer" to update manually. But when I get to the end of that chain, all I saw was Uninstall and Win 10. Not sure what to do now.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem:

OK. I followed the link in your last post "....Control Center 1.1.3.7" and on the GCC GENERAL page, it reads, "Firmware is up-to date", but it says Version 7.28, not 1.1.3.7. Is something not right?
Thank you.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm connecting:

2 Power Bars
KH Director and Doser
Doser 2 Stand Alone (that I have to switch to Slave mode
Maxi Doser: (I will connect this in a few days; I left the power supply in FL. Friend is shipping it).

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I followed the link in your last post "....Control Center 1.1.3.7" and on the GCC GENERAL page, it reads, "Firmware is up-to date", but it says Version 7.28, not 1.1.3.7. Is something not right?
Thank you.

7.28 is the firmware on the P4 1.13.7 is the Control Center version

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the Emergency Tool?

Under EXTRAS, I see "Wifi Module Update" but it is grayed out.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under SYSTEM > COMMUNICATIONS, I set "Client and Access Point", filled in the router ID and password, and checked "Obtain IP address automatically" then SAVED and DISCONNECTED, but there are all "zeros" in the IP bars. I'm guessing that is not correct?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not the emergency tool but the Wifi-ESP Update tool I posted the link above.

I usually reboot the P4 after I set the Wireless information. You would see all 0 except in the IP address Assigned what it say thierr?

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not the emergency tool but the Wifi-ESP Update tool I posted the link above.

I usually reboot the P4 after I set the Wireless information. You would see all 0 except in the IP address Assigned what it say thierr?
Let me put that step aside for a minute. (I don't think it is essential before I move on).

I connected the Doser Stand Alone via USB and updated the firmware and switched to SLAVE. No problem there.

But when I went back to the P4, it no longer connects and when I go to Device Manager, I can't find the proper port under PORTS (COM AND LPT). I followed the video to install the GHL USB driver and it said it was installed. I rebooted the computer and the P4 but still can't find the driver under the PORTS (COM and LPT). (I set the Interface in GCC to "Auto")

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continued.....

I followed these instructions but I can't find the "GHL Virtual Communications Port" under PORTS (COM & LPT)

When connecting the USB cable to your PC for the first time, Windows should automatically install the correct driver to your computer. This driver will be listed in Device Manager as GHL Virtual Communications Port.

I followed this link and when I hit "FINISH" it says that the proper driver was loaded, but, I don't see it. I tried loading it several times. Is it possible that something needs to be Uninstalled and Installed again? (I've rebooted the P4 and computer a bunch of times).
  1. To manually install the correct driver, follow the steps shown in this video:

Any further help would be appreciated! .... I'm 8 hours into this!!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL PROBLEMS UP TO THIS POINT HAVE BEEN SOLVED !!

.....But stay tuned, there may be more! :rolleyes:

Thank you!
Jim

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back