What is the biggest Purple or Yellow Tang you have seen in captivity?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I would like to know how long you have kept your smaller Zebrasoma Tang (Yellow, Purple, Gem, Black) and how big is it? Or, what’s the biggest specimen in captivity out of these species that you have seen? If it was an extra big one, was it caught at that size? How big can they get in the wild and what’s a reasonable size to expect in captivity if started below 4 inches?

Do they all need a 6’ tank for life?

I have never heard of a 7-8” Yellow Tang in captivity, largest I heard was maybe 6”. Not sure about Purples, Blacks, Gems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Biggest yellow was one by Salgado aquatic and was shy of large paper plate size

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen yellows imported size of dinner plate just like Tony said! From a baby I think it’s a little harder to get that size as most never go in a size tank for them to achieve it!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the largest but I can say that they don't grow super fast. I kept one for about 10 years and it reached maybe 6 inches. started out around 3 inches.

Uh... my purple was +/- 2.5" end of March when I got him, smaller than my full grown Bangaii. Now, mid June is all of 5" and competing with CBB for largest. I would call that fast growing... I don't think I dropped any MiracleGro in the tank.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh... my purple was +/- 2.5" end of March when I got him, smaller than my full grown Bangaii. Now, mid June is all of 5" and competing with CBB for largest. I would call that fast growing... I don't think I dropped any MiracleGro in the tank.

Maybe I should edit that to say "mine didn't grow very fast" rather than assume no ones does. I would agree yours is growing fast. Mine seemed to max out around the 6" mark in the first year or so then didn't grow much after that (except in fatness).

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a picture posted here on R2R of that XXL yellow tang… post was about a frag swap.
I think you're talking about this one?

5 - big yt - Daniel@R2R.jpeg

This bought by @Brimartin16 and her boyfriend at RAP. @Brimartin16 how's this guy doing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think you're talking about this one?

5 - big yt - Daniel@R2R.jpeg

This bought by @Brimartin16 and her boyfriend at RAP. @Brimartin16 how's this guy doing?
Yes- This guy.

he was in this tank at RAP 2019 Chicago

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

THE NASO WAS 11 INCHES AND KOI TANG A LITTLE LARGER THAN SMALL PAPER PLATE

Last edited:

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescued an Ich-covered purple tang from Petco at roughly 6” for $50 about 2 months ago. Within 3 days in Cupramine QT all signs of Ich were gone. Healthy eater, VERY active. Kept him in there for the full 3 weeks plus one day, dropped dead out of nowhere earlier this week in my DT

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're counting the Desjardin Tang among your other Zebrasomas. Many years back I bought a Purple Tang and a Desjardin from the same Red Sea shipment. At the time they were both the same size. Fast forward a few years, and the Purple hasn't grown, but the Desjardin is a good 8" in diameter. Go figure...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're counting the Desjardin Tang among your other Zebrasomas. Many years back I bought a Purple Tang and a Desjardin from the same Red Sea shipment. At the time they were both the same size. Fast forward a few years, and the Purple hasn't grown, but the Desjardin is a good 8" in diameter. Go figure...
Yeah, when I first started keeping marine fish 20+ years ago, I bought a Desjardin, I was clueless, and the store told me my 55 gallon was plenty big enough. Over the next three years I moved it to a 75, then a 120, and finally a 180. By then I knew a little more and had a full on reef tank. And then while on a 3 week vacation, there was a power outage, and I’m not entirely sure how it happened, but the surge protector that had the return pump and all of the circulation pumps didn’t come back on when the power did. My house sitter didn’t notice anything wrong, kept putting food in it. This,despite the dead 8” tang and probably 10 other fish all in a massive blog of green slime the size of a beach ball in a tank of stagnant water. It smelled awful, and the guy was sleeping at my house on the couch a few feet away from it! Still didn’t notice! And he refused to take any responsibility (and I don’t mean financially, not even an apology, just excuses and acting like it wasn’t a big deal). To say I was enraged would be an understatement. We weren’t friends after that.

Anyway, yes, Desjardins get massive, and fast.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back