What is the buzz about the super expensive Abyzz return pumps?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there’s a little more to it than just AC/DC.
Yes! They really are both an AC pump. But I believe the major difference is in the impeller design. The soft start of a DC allows for an impeller to push more water. If an AC pump would have the same design , based on a hard start of the AC pump it would cause issues Eg high immediate load Eg on shaft.
Also with DC pumps you can design a motor block to have multi pole motor. Which makes if virtually vibration less. Something you can’t do with a 115v AC two pole motor.
There are benefits, as mentioned above but there are benefits to AC such as reliability. Basically you have to choose what works best for you.
AC pumps with high reliability are Eheim and Sicce syncra the Fluval.
Let’s not forget the Fluval is a great and quite pump but it still has a chip in the motor block which can fail. This is why I am putting it behind Eheim and Sicce in reliability.

Pioneer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with two Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon pumps for my returns. I chose RE probably for the same reasons as others have purchased the Abyzz, though the Abyzz is more expensive:

- Build quality
- Silence. This was key for me as my sump is under my stand and in the living room. I cannot hear the return pumps at all.

I did have an issue with both pumps when I first installed them. They both had the same defective part. Royal Exclusiv exchanged them with overnight delivery no questions asked... that type of service is also reflected in the price.
What was the part? I think I am getting 2 of those.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the part? I think I am getting 2 of those.

That I don't know, RE never told me. But that was the only explanation, given that the two pumps had serial numbers that were sequential so they were assembled one after the other... It wasn't the controllers though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back