What is the difference between an indo gold torch with green mouth and a NY knicks?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference between an indo gold torch that has a green mouth and tentacles coming up from mouth and a NYknicks? Or is there any? I am looking at one labeled green mouth indo gold. It also has blueish tips but I have bought from the person before and the tips dont look as blue in my tank as his pics for sure!

When I google NY knicks the pics I see basically look like his green mouth indo gold but who knows what kind of tricks they are playing with the pics and the special lens they use! I will try to come back and post a pic of the one I am thinking of buying! I wont be able to if his name shows on the pic though although he probably wouldnt mind!

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.”
Everything. What's Coca Colas most valuable possession? It's not the secret formula... It's the brand name and imagery. Branding is unimaginably important.

Look at the art world. Try selling a Picasso with no provenance. It may be just as pretty, but without the "lineage " nobody will buy it.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really start buying torches until about a year ago. At first I thought the "name game" was kind of silly but, after collecting several different Indo Gold varieties, I can say that there ARE subtle differences between them... At least the ones I've got are different.

It may not always be apparent in pictures, but side-by-side a "standard" Indo Gold is different than a Hellfire, a Dragon Soul, a Goldfinger, etc. Different tentacle lengths, different shades of gold/purple/blue/etc, different colored tips.

NY Knicks in person are actually very distinct. It's hard to describe, but the blue is a different blue than any other Indo variety that I've seen in person.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything. What's Coca Colas most valuable possession? It's not the secret formula... It's the brand name and imagery. Branding is unimaginably important.

Look at the art world. Try selling a Picasso with no provenance. It may be just as pretty, but without the "lineage " nobody will buy it.

Corals don't come with papers of linage though like a purebred animal or a professional that can check authenticity like art. You are just going by someone else word and so many people come on here asking for an ID of a random coral... they then give it that name even though we don't know where it came from.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True! I am starting a coral garden and so far I have
Abyss sold by uc but others are calling it a joker
malaysian cotton candy
hellfire
2 malaysian golds that look complety different! One has baby blue tips and one has teal or green One is thicker tentacled than the other as well. Love them both!! Almost pure gold with very little purple. The person that sold me the baby blue tips was obviously using a orange lens because there was no purple at all in the pic and the baby blue tips were insane! The other was from uc They labeled it teal tip torch!
an indo gold with green center
I am also buying a green with blue tips as well!
Will be looking to pick up a new york knicks soon and maybe a holy moly!
I probably should not have invested so much into these being I am not that expeienced with corals and had 2 torches die previously but once I get he fever its on!
I am defietly becoming a coral addict! I need to join a 12 step program..lol
Love them torches! LOL
Thanks all!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many Indo gold variants and some are so crazy they came up with names like NY Knicks to make them stand out on paper as they do in person. Of course people get carried away and the market gets a little muddled. But a NY knicks will have a green mouth, teal tips, gold and purple tentacles with a splash of green bleeding from the mouth to the tentacles.
5C9BFE5F-CAEB-4339-866D-2B564C48042F.png

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't get why its called NY Knicks Torch. The knicks are blue and orange.... not purple, teal, or green. I have the same problem seeing random frags called la lakers whatever. Half of the time they aren't even yellow and purple??

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you found the difference without realising. The only difference is in the name :)

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am a Knicks fan and i hate that a NY Knicks coral is green with purple and gold

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Knicks fan and i hate that a NY Knicks coral is green with purple and gold
I keep getting suckered into la lakers frags and they end up not being purple and gold lol. I got a la lakers monti thats looking green and purple. Ill just find my own purple and gold frags and call them la lakers whatever.

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That looks amazing! what is your experience with aussie torches? A local guy that I buy frags from tells me aussie torches are much harder to keep than indos or malyasians.
I've lost 2 aussie golds...haven't lost any indos yet

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back