What is the easiest monti to keep?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @guylaga can monti cap be kept with AI Prime? I have most channels at 100%, running from like 8am-8pm. Is that good? Too much lighting? Too high?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i find the digitata seem to be the easiest closely followed by encrusting varieties. Caps seem to be the canary in the coalmine in my system which isn't exactly an indication of an easy coral to reliably grow lol.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i find the digitata seem to be the easiest closely followed by encrusting varieties. Caps seem to be the canary in the coalmine in my system which isn't exactly an indication of an easy coral to reliably grow lol.
Digitatas look cool, and I have also heard that some people have great success with acros yet not with monti caps lol. I really like the growth of the caps, the digitatas have a nice branching look. have you tried the encrusting montis? how hard are those compared to digis or monti caps? what about stylophoras?

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitatas look cool, and I have also heard that some people have great success with acros yet not with monti caps lol. I really like the growth of the caps, the digitatas have a nice branching look. have you tried the encrusting montis? how hard are those compared to digis or monti caps? what about stylophoras?
I was growing acros, but struggling with montis. Ended up being me iodine was too low. I now dose Iodine daily and my montis couldn't be happier.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @guylaga can monti cap be kept with AI Prime? I have most channels at 100%, running from like 8am-8pm. Is that good? Too much lighting? Too high?

Well you have two options, best way to tell is use a PAR meter to check the level at what ever mounting point you plan to place the coral at.

If that isnt possible start by placing your frag on the sand bed for a week, then move to your mounting spot. If it starts to bleach out then your lighting likely is to strong (if all other parameters are on point). On the other hand if you start seeing growth where it seems like the coral is trying to "reach up" then you might not have enough light.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neon green spondgeodes under the basic orbit marine light about 7” away from the light since Black Friday weekend and it’s doing fine.

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm one of those people haha, monti caps just seem temperamental for me.
i have several encrusting montis going right now. they're all still at the frag stage but they seem to really take off after a month or so of getting used to things.
imo digitata and stylos are some of the easiest branching corals to grow. it doesn't hurt that a full colony of forest fire digi is a great looking coral too!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have decent flow, light, and stable parameters they are all easy to grow, imo.
Here is a few of mine in my 120.
20210217_190037.jpg

20210217_190010.jpg

20210215_182106.jpg

20201218_193607.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitatas are the ones I've started with and they are growing really well