What is the hardest fish to keep in this hobby?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Leopard Wrasse

20210408_234629.jpg

Scared of its own shadow and after acclimation, difficult to even get eating live food.

The stars have to align with high quality water, perfect sandbed, no other intimidating fish, great endless supply of pods.

They are absolute PITAs. 100%

Last edited:

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Leopard Wrasse

20210408_234629.jpg

Scared of its own shadow and after acclimation difficult to even get eating live food.

The stars have to align with high quality water, perfect sandbed, no other intimidating fish, great endless supply of pods.

Funny story. I try not to buy fish at WWC since they don’t quarantine & I had a bad experience (sick royal gramma wiped out over half my fish :( ). But I visited one day just to see what’s happening/chat with the staff. I quickly fell in love with a Black Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis) and lucky for me, she ate mysis in front of me at the store. Bought her on a total whim and she has done well ever since. I’ve had her for several months now. It wasn’t until the other day that I found out they’re at “expert level”.

Hardest fish for me is definitely a royal gramma. I know, I know, it’s a “beginner” fish. But I never have any luck. I’ve probably gone through three maybe four. I gave up and got an Orchid Dottyback. The tank has plenty of caves and crevices so I love watching him zoom in/out of them all :)

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh forgot about sea horses and jellyfish

Like burning $100 bills with a Bic-lighter for a few days of "look what I got"

Both need dedicated tanks and only last a few months at best

A few months at best?? Moon jellies should live for at least year and sea horses for a handful years if you have a dedicated tank. Both are relatively easy to keep after getting the right tank and equipment IMO

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Leopard Wrasse

20210408_234629.jpg

Scared of its own shadow and after acclimation, difficult to even get eating live food.

Mine is doing great

yoelf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, the Blue Spot Jawfish has been impossible. We have a cover on our tank and everything and 2 have managed to Free Willy their way across the room 10 ft away. :(
Mine jumped 4 days ago :’(

Attachments

• 0D1D74DE-BCE7-4844-870D-058E50B074A5.png
    0D1D74DE-BCE7-4844-870D-058E50B074A5.png
    688 KB · Views: 77

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firesfish, hardest thing for me always had jump and aggression issues, now velvet and other issues lately

IMG_20171226_232734_082.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, difficulty is relative. I find that most of the so called difficult species are relatively easy. They are however demanding in their care and usually people try to keep them in conditions that doesn’t meet their requirements.
I actually wrote about this a couple of days ago and am to lazy to rewrite it here

The truly difficult species I would say are the corallivore butterfly’s, orange spotted file fish etc because it’s extremely hard to meet their requirements to thrive.

Back