What is the hardest fish to keep in this hobby?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue crab .. I know it’s not a fish but she keeps climbing out of the tank .. I find her across my living room and sometimes all the way out into my kitchen
Wow that's crazy!! They don't look like they can climb up glass. It's surprising he's still alive after so many escapes!

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just any of the Coralivores are almost impossible. At least OSFF can be trained on to prepared with enough time, but I don't think any of the Butterflys or Leopard Blennies can.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh forgot about sea horses and jellyfish

Like burning $100 bills with a Bic-lighter for a few days of "look what I got"

Both need dedicated tanks and only last a few months at best

Funny enough Is that I've got 2 species of Jelly! Dwarf Lions Mane and the Moons. Both are aquacultured so that probably explains why they've been doing so well, from my experience so far they're not as hard as people make them out to be (the Moons are actually in a DIY Budget style tank). Wild ones will only last a few months if they're older and have parasites, but they could still make it a couple years if treated and are young
20210408_163402.jpg
IMG_20210408_115638_093.jpg

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a lot of short term success with these guys. People seem to keep them healthy around 5 years then they die. They don't seem to make it the 15-20 years they should. I always wondered why as there are many stories of "My idol was my most aggressive eater and fat, and then it was dead". Some people say diet and live sponge but it is all speculation.
they might also get lonely for a mate over the years as their often seen in schools, deppresions a real thing

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Leopard Wrasse

20210408_234629.jpg

Scared of its own shadow and after acclimation, difficult to even get eating live food.

The stars have to align with high quality water, perfect sandbed, no other intimidating fish, great endless supply of pods.

They are absolute PITAs. 100%

I’m so surprised by this. I got one and it’s easily the most active and interesting fish I have and it eats anything I feed it, even flake food! I didn’t even realise they were hard to keep and I must’ve been lucky with mine.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys reef safe?
Their natural diet is the mucus from Acropora millepora coral. They don’t pay any attention to any of my LPS or softies. They do peck at my SPS, but they don’t damage it. Their mouths are essentially little tubes that they use like straws. They do bother them enough that I rarely see polyp extension.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely goldfish. I don't know why, but they just don't thrive in my reefs! They really do belong in the ocean, and not in captivity, for sure. Definitely not reef safe, either.
I am not sure about this. I have a goldfish reef and they do just fine. :rolleyes:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine the bladefin basslet (Jeboehlkia gladifer) would be the hardest as they live 500-700 feet deep but alas I don't have the 10000 dollars to see if that's true.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cowfish
boxfish

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back