What is the hardest part of keeping a ritteri or other carpet anemones?

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Haddoni Carpet and 3 Magnificas. I have to say, my favorite nem is the Mag. My Haddoni ate every dang clownfish that tried to pair with him. And he ate anything that touched him, like a bottomless pit. Great nem, easy to care for. I got lucky with him, from a Petco too.
My Mags are a different story. First one was lost due to some fluke of a disease or problem that took out all of my BTA's and a few fish too. Ruled it all down to either crap coming out of using Live Sand (I never use live sand anymore by-the-way) or the Teflon tape used in some of the plumbing for the tank. Needless to say, Teflon is not on my Bill of Materials anymore. My other two Mags are doing well, one having recovered from too much Royal Blue lighting (its possible with LED's), and the other nem was just in a fight with my Gyre pump not two days ago. He's recovering, though lost a lot of tentacles.
So yes, nems move. You have to protect them by covering those dang powerheads, and do use a holding tank and be ready for treatment if the nem shows signs of sickness after you just acquired him, before putting him into your display tank. Water quality and stability is paramount to longevity. Along with great, not good, great lighting. I highly recommend Metal Halides where feasible, but bulbs are getting harder to find. LED's are great, I recommend Ecotechs or AI's, but really it's about good PAR and Spectrum. I think, and I'm open to discussion on this, if you can keep Maxima Clams or LPS corals, or follow the suggestions for those, then you can apply the same rule to Mags or Carpets. Keep in mind, Mags grow really big, stretch their tentacles everywhere and are most likely to move about more so than Carpets. I've seen carpets move too, but they seem to stay put more once they've got their foot buried in something. Mags just want that perfect light/flow/open area and don't like to be crowded.

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I didn't answer the OP's question, my rambling and all. The hardest thing about keeping Mags, in my experience, is keeping them out of the dang powerheads.

OP
OP
Joshcom

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I didn't answer the OP's question, my rambling and all. The hardest thing about keeping Mags, in my experience, is keeping them out of the dang powerheads.
I enjoyed the rambling, for me powerheads and crowding from corals isnt an issue, have a nem only aio tank, with a oversized pump so the flow is higher than standard. Also got some ai lights for it.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling of wanting something but can't because of borders.
Also a Canadian.
I am on the wish list with JL Aquatics. So over the last 3 years whenever they bring something in, they contact me right away. Might be a good option for you as well. Gigantea/Adhesive are a once in a lifetime opportunity. I see more Haddoni, Mertensii and Magnifica if anything. But that and WestJet shipping costs, expect to pay lots more.

OP
OP
Joshcom

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the wish list with JL Aquatics. So over the last 3 years whenever they bring something in, they contact me right away. Might be a good option for you as well. Gigantea/Adhesive are a once in a lifetime opportunity. I see more Haddoni, Mertensii and Magnifica if anything. But that and WestJet shipping costs, expect to pay lots more.
Got a guy in Edmonton who can bring in anything and properly qt's it for you including any nem I want, best part is its local so no shipping.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get in on that as well?

WAIS Aquarium often gets green Haddoni and Magnifica in Calgary. But I find they are not healthy and need treatment.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica response really well to treatment. I can get sick anemone that is not too far gone and able to treat them, bring them back to heath. You do need stable, good water parameter, good circulation, and adequate lighting. Essentially optimal condition so they don't wander around and get chew up by power heads. Below are pictures of my latest Magnifica I got from Petco. Pictures at the store, hospital tank during treatment. Once infection treated, the last few pictures show how he regain his health and color once his infection is treated and optimal condition and light provided.
They are sensitive and often require treatment with medication most of the time, but not too difficult to help them regain their health once capture and send across the world.
11/12/2020. At Petco. I was leaving town so I did not get him here. Pictures of other anemones in the same tank.
magnifica2020111202redbasegreentip-jpg.2087746

magnifica2020111201redbasegreentip-jpg.2087745

By the time I got him on 11/27/2020 he was deflated and has gas bubble inside his body. Below are pictures of him in my hospital tank on
11/27/2020
magnifica2020112701-jpg.2087722

11/29/2020
magnifica2020112908-jpg.2087723

Treatment finished. Below are pictures of him recovering his health in my DT. Lighting are he same. Each of the pictures have a few tentacles of my Purple Magnifica. Color of the Purple Magnifica is more or less the same in all of the pictures below. This Magnifica, however, become much more beautiful and much brighter in color with optimal condition provided for him.
12/09/2020
magnifica2020120901redbaseandpurple-jpg.2087728

12/13/2020
magnifica2020121301redbaseyellowtip-jpg.2087729

12/23/2020
magnifica2020122303redbaseyellowtip-jpg.2087725

12/25/2020
magnifica2020122501redbaseyellowtip-jpg.2087730

Current pictures on 03/19/2021
magnifica2021031901redbasegreentip-jpg.2087726

magnifica2021031902redbasegreentip-jpg.2087727
Petco you say ..... spectacular. Wish mine got mags.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Min @OrionN did you take a gamble with that one thinking the base would turn red or did you know that it had a red base? from the pictures it looked like a purple base.

Wmacintosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a guy in Edmonton who can bring in anything and properly qt's it for you including any nem I want, best part is its local so no shipping.
I’d love his contact. Had a carpet years ago I lucked out on in Edmonton but haven’t found one since. Looking to find one for my new tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back