What is the highest ONGOING cost to your reef tank?

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my setup it would have to be filter floss and food. I buy a huge roll of filter floss and go through it pretty quickly. My sump is not setup for socks
Pellets last a long time but I go through frozen pretty quick also. (I was actually just at the store today buying frozen lol)

ssedna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triton system dosing,( no big salt, water and RODI use ), using solar system and home batt.
And as mentioned above, visiting LFS and not be able to resist coral frags ;)

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food cost is one of the things that can be controlled IMO. I feed flake and pellet. I'm still on a 2,5oz. jar I bought in April.I use red sea ab plus every other day instead of every day. On the opposite day I dose a little phyto for my maxima clam. That's over 3 tanks. 30,50,80. I've got my numbers dialed in and only dose additives every other day as well. I think alot of reefers dose whether they need it or not. It's important to track actual usage of things in your tank. You can save alot of money taking the time to dial it in. I only test every other week. My numbers stay consistent. Do a small water change every other week. Taking the time to get a stable tank and stick with a program long term has obvious benefits and will save you money.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity. My wife wants to know how much I use, and I refuse to check and record it. I have the meters to do that. Of course she gives me zero credit, for going to 100% LED Through out the house. Also I went with water saving fixtures and toilets, which cuts down on my well run time.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
280g Display with 400g total water volume. Highest cost is definitely electricity. Even after I have changed from 3x400w MH to 4 Radion xr30 G5 Pros it's still expensive. Return pump alone is 300w, 900w in heaters plus everything else.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity. I think it's around $80/mo for my 300g (at least in winter). I run all LEDs, DC pumps, but have 2 x 800W heaters. It's not terrible I guess. But I may try to create a hot water loop to heat the tank more efficiently. Titanium heat exchangers are just too expensive right now!

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most posts here-

Electricity > Salt Mix > Food > 2 Part > RODI resin. In that order.

Electricity is the highest, definitely a hidden cost if you have a medium-large tank with a lot of gadgets (i.e. t5, pumps, UV, mix station, AWC).

Another hidden cost if you live in CA? Water. My water bill from salt mix and evaporation is a real cost.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric used by the tanks pales in comparison to the amount of money my wife and son have wasted over the last 20 years leaving lights on when nobody is in the room. . No amount of ******** on my part will ever change that. I make rounds several times every night turning lights off...

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric used by the tanks pales in comparison to the amount of money my wife and son have wasted over the last 20 years leaving lights on when nobody is in the room. . No amount of ******** on my part will ever change that. I make rounds several times every night turning lights off...

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything associated with making and conducting water changes (RODI system filters and resin, salt, tap water, electricity for pumps and heaters).

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's definitely the Angry Pixies from ConEd...by far.

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me:
Food > Salt > Two part dosing >R Rowa > RODI supplies >Misc.

But all that pales in comparison to "projects"...
I just can't help but tinker around and build things

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two highest ongoing costs are salt (change 1% per day) and the rollermat fleece rolls. Those two make up about 40% of my monthly costs. Electricity is less of a cost than it could be because I've installed solar panels on the house to help offset that cost... :)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until last week is was most likely electricity. After today, it is definitely electricity. Running a separate circuit to my tank. Electricians ain’t cheap.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back