What is the highest par you have kept a gig under?

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gig that's been through treatment. I have it placed in a very high par. It did great for month, eating, and never deflating. Now, the tentacles are shorter than before (they never reached what a normal gig length should be). Also, it has moved to very bottom of tank.
Par was 600+ of halide. I have now put my ati fixture back over the tank.

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gigs never move, put them in cup and place them where i wanted them never move at all for the past 7 years on 2 different locations. par is about 300-350 AI hydra HD led.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may or may not be a correlation to the level of nutrients in the system and the level of par. I've noticed one of my Gigs not as happy with really low nutrients and high - 550 par under ATI fixture. Seeing similar changes with shorter tentacles and less color. Where it was collected in the ocean could also play a factor, imo. 350-400 seems to be the sweet spot under T5s, though I've kept specimens well over that and they loved it? Maybe others will have a better answer.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor T who keep a numbers of Gingantea healthy for long time keep his at outrageous PAR, 1600+
I keep mine at 800-1000 or so

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I agree high par is totally acceptable as long as you get them used to it I use kessil a500xs with a 30% increase lense in them and they are about 10” from surface at full blast

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ranged from about 700 to 1500 at one time. The 1500 was when I was running MH with 10,000k bulbs. They are all under T5 now (still more daylight spectrum) and a few have moved up to just below the waters surface. I have not par tested the tank, but would guess it is still around 300-1000 par, as the light is only about 6" above the water. It could even be a little higher par. Nutrients in the tank are about 5-10 No3 and .08-.1 Po4. The tank is also tied into a macro lagoon and the whole setup gets dosed ammonia for some plant/coral food. I have noticed that if I let the nutrients get low, that the nems will not expand as much. Likely due to not enough food for the algae that resides in them. Kind of like they know this, so limit the exposure to the light, as it will prevent damage to the zoo.

The tank is a nem tank, so I just let them walk to where they want and they have plenty of room to do that lol. With that said, this is why the range is what it is for where they are at. They choose their spot.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back