What Is the Longest Time You Have Spent On a DIY Project.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing DIY projects on here, from stands, to general equipment enhancers for a tank. My question is what was the longest time you spent on a DIY project and was it worth it?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to build my current stand 2X. The plywood I got had defective veneer that started peeling off as I began to stain it. Vendor replaced it and I upgraded to a better grade of plywood. Ended up taking me 5 months to get the new stand done and moved into the house. You can see it all in my build thread.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years but that was doing an entire basement (framing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, tile etc). Tank related I think the stand and the wall cut out for the in-wall were the longest but don’t remember how long that took. Maybe a week on and off.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate DIY projects. My limit is 1hr. If it doesn't work, I'm hiring someone. Unless a project will save me more in time spent than what I make at my normal job, it ain't worth it.
I feel like I'm terrible at building stuff, so I usually will just get someone to build it for me

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 2 months on this one.. I built everything from scratch including the skimmer.. ;) I like to turn and burn!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I built a tank once that was 30" x 20" x 20". I found a glass vendor that got me starfire glass. Put a nice polished bevel on all the pieces. That part took 6 weeks.
The actual build took a couple hours.
The next day I went out and spent a few hours doing cleanup, not paying much attention to the tools I was using.
I let the tank just sit for a couple weeks to cure.
I started the lay out of the tank and first thing I did was hang a T5 fixture over the top of the tank.
When I turned on the light I saw what I did when I did the cleanup. I put 3-4 big long scratches across the front glass and a couple on one side. Plus several swirl marks on the front.
I reached up and unplugged the light and walked out of my shop. I didn't even go out there for for 4-5 months.
I gave the glass repair kits a try for a couple weeks. They were worthless IMO.
Walked away for the tank for another month.
Then one day I wondered what the tank ( with the scratches) looked like with water in it.
Filled it up and I was totally surprised on how the scratches disappeared.
So the build was back on.
So after another month I had saltwater and rock in it.
Total time 7 months.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the top floor and roof of my last house to raise the dormer. It was about 40 years ago and it took me 2 years as I had to do it after work and on weekends. The house is stone. I also did all of it myself including installing the kitchen, bathroom, heat, plumbing, electricity and ac.

That was this house and it did snow like this as soon as I removed the top floor. I had to shovel snow off of my living room. :anguished-face:

This "fireplace" took me a couple of weeks. It is all steel and all of it is on wheels so I can move it to get behind there.

I finished this yesterday. It took about a week. This is the thing retracted.

Bath cabinet.JPG

It opens 36" electrically
Bath cabinet out.JPG

As for my tank, I built the stand and the rock. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent over a year planning and saving for tank size increase. DIY the overflow, the new hood, and DIY LED. The entire project including the DIY overflows on the display and new hood took the better part of three years.

Once the tank swap was done and the LEDs turned on, they made the tank look terrible and killed pretty much every coral colony I had. I then had to build yet another light which looked much better. Unfortunately, the coral lose pushed me to make too many changes too fast and the system was shut down for good.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the top floor and roof of my last house to raise the dormer. It was about 40 years ago and it took me 2 years as I had to do it after work and on weekends. The house is stone. I also did all of it myself including installing the kitchen, bathroom, heat, plumbing, electricity and ac.

That was this house and it did snow like this as soon as I removed the top floor. I had to shovel snow off of my living room. :anguished-face:

That is impressive, you did that all by yourself!!!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mapped out plans for my kitchen tank (biocube) upgrade about 5 years ago, last week that tank started leaking slowly. So I bought a new tank, and I’m going to be modifying a cabinet for a stand that will closely resemble my original plan. It’s going to take some time as there is a lot of work that will go into this with a partial kitchen remodel also - Removal of kitchen tile, custom granite top etc. electric and network cable routing.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mapped out plans for my kitchen tank (biocube) upgrade about 5 years ago, last week that tank started leaking slowly. So I bought a new tank, and I’m going to be modifying a cabinet for a stand that will closely resemble my original plan. It’s going to take some time as there is a lot of work that will go into this with a partial kitchen remodel also - Removal of kitchen tile, custom granite top etc. electric and network cable routing.
Sorry that your tank started leaking!!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished building a tank the other day out of leftover acrylic. It is 48"×30"×25" just to use up the material with the least amount of waste. Now it is sitting on the floor in my house near a freshwater Landen rimless I bought over 5 years ago. I still have a 22 Aquamaxx, 64 Aquamaxx, and an 60p ADA in the shop. This does not include a leftover 60 gallon acrylic that is new but over 20 years old and a couple more acrylic tanks on a pallet above the office. I guess I just like the look of shiny new empty tanks! Not sure if I should finish any of them since we are going to Italy later in the year. Before the hold up was an office remodel followed by a house remodel and complete deck tear out and rebuild. Maybe I should just sell it all and give up lol!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back