What is the max number of Gobies?

nsauer3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is max number of gobies for a 180 gallon tank? Is there even a max number or can I have as many as possible that would fit in the tank?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the bioload of the tank. But gobies are not big fish or big eaters so that should not be an issue.

So it boils down to will they murder each other?

Well from personal experience, I know that my 300 gallon will only support one (1) pair of fire fish. A pair WILL NOT TOLERATE another pair.

But I just bet that they would not even notice a diamond goby or a shrimp goby or a neon goby. As long as you select fish that are from different guilds, they are probably going to be fine with each other.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
nsauer3

nsauer3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the bioload of the tank. But gobies are not big fish or big eaters so that should not be an issue.

So it boils down to will they murder each other?

Well from personal experience, I know that my 300 gallon will only support one (1) pair of fire fish. A pair WILL NOT TOLERATE another pair.

But I just bet that they would not even notice a diamond goby or a shrimp goby or a neon goby. As long as you select fish that are from different guilds, they are probably going to be fine with each other.
Thank you, I was personally deciding to get a watchman, engineer goby( my favorite fish), and a fire fish goby. I don’t think I’m gonna pair them up, but what are your thoughts about it?

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid an engineer goby. They get pretty big and they insist on rearranging everything in the tank. They are a bit like a cross between a sea monster and a beaver.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those three different species should be fine together in that size tank, though you'll definitely want to make sure that you want a foot+ long engineer goby digging everything up.

Upvote 0

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 65g which houses a yellow watchman goby (paired with tiger pistol shrimp), a blue neon goby, a starry goby and a court jester goby without any issues. They do inhabit somewhat different spaces.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nsauer3

nsauer3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those three different species should be fine together in that size tank, though you'll definitely want to make sure that you want a foot+ long engineer goby digging everything up.
I would avoid an engineer goby. They get pretty big and they insist on rearranging everything in the tank. They are a bit like a cross between a sea monster and a beaver.
So that would probally mess up coral right?

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They'll upend small coral frags, and spit sand all over other corals. Great fun to watch, but not necessarily great in reefs.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back