What is the Meanest Fish You’ve Owned?

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp! Had a blackout going on, and on the last day he got hungry and killed my clowns one after another now it’s just him and my YWG in that tank. However, it’s a different story at work! We have two NASTY sailfin tangs. One big one has killed an annularis angel, almost got the toadfish and a couple puffers! Also hates the blue line grouper. The smaller one has gotten a multicolor angel, cardinals, and more.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels of the genus Dascyllus seem incredibly mean. I have several Dascyllus reticulatus, they are much, much worse than Chrysiptera (azure damselfish). Besides being very aggressive they are bigger and much stronger than Chrysiptera.

Sometimes Dascyllus like to throw over surprisingly big stones with corals attached if they don't like where you placed them. They also may pull off freshly glued corals as soon as you turn around. Really incredible!

Dascyllus - never again!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef this is my choice for meanest fish per gram (however you want to measure size). Crazy aggressive!

The other fish in mind is the notorious Undulated Triggerfish. Beautiful and shy (seemingly) but will kill just about anything else around it.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 mean fish in the tank before but they are now re homed. A talbot's damselfish and a lamarck's angelfish. I can never put my hand inside the tank for they will swipe at it no matter what.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one!
Yellowtail Damselfish - If I could have hit him with the laser I would have fried him in the tank.
Nowadays it's the seemingly helpful Aiptasia Filefish that has grown to mammoth proportions and is undoubtedly a mutant species with nothing but death and destruction on the brain.
My file fish did not last a week before he started going after corals. Even though I seen it eating aiptasia at lfs he did not touch them in my tank

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far my meanest fish is my Tomatoe Maroon Clownfish. Will bite my hand when it's in the tank haha but it's also my favorite because it's the most active in my tank. It host my toadstool which is fun haha

Attachments

• PXL_20210916_182830584.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210916_182830584.MP.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 35

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can tell from reading thru this post, some species, such as damsels, seem to inherently be mean, while other species seem to only have individuals that end up mean (sounds like humans!). For me, nothing worse than having a fish terrorize or constantly chase other fish around, just adding stress to the environment I created to reduce stress, so I always try to avoid aggressive species. The "meanest" fish I've ever had was a yellow tang, many years ago. It was the boss of the tank and would chase every other fish around. Since I hated that, I've never added a yellow tang since, but had been contemplating getting one recently up until the Hawaii ban shut that down. I've had no issues with purple tangs. I've read multiple people indicating that they've had issues with royal grammas, which surprises me, as I always tend to have one and they've never been aggressive, in fact some have been too passive at times and wouldn't stand their ground with their peers.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish or crab got to live in this tank,
07242018 (4).jpg

And from the "Who bit you in your tank" thread, ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/who-bit-you-in-your-tank.828543/ )
Temperate tank 1987 1 06142018.jpg

This guy caught me pretty good. Was in the middle of feeding him and got distracted while still holding a shrimp in my hand and my hand in the tank. Since he was already in a feeding frenzy he didn't care if I was looking or not. Chomp Chomp;Inpain:oops:;Facepalm
Thumb 4mp 008.jpg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang. he was so cute when I bought him when he was quarter size. When he got to four inches, he went psychotic. In one week, he killed a harlequin tusk, harlequin bass, queen angel and blue face angel. All fish were bigger than him.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang. he was so cute when I bought him when he was quarter size. When he got to four inches, he went psychotic. In one week, he killed a harlequin tusk, harlequin bass, queen angel and blue face angel. All fish were bigger than him.
My Hippo is a bully as well. More than holds own in a predator tank.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Meanest was my Niger Trigger. It was in tank with others for 1 year with no issues. But one day he suddenly turned angry and started biting my large bird wrasse, yellow-tail corris ... and I moved him in QT - he was picking up 1 inch rocks and throwing ... I had to give him away to LFS ...

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How did he kill HT, Queen and Blueface?

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my meanest was a 6-line in my first tank - i gave him back to the LFS. However, the 6-line in my current tank is not a problem (yet). My clowns at one point tried to kill a tailspot blenny but now they're fine. Both were BRUTAL. I don;t know what to think.

Currently I'm dealing with scopas on tomini aggression.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Isn't it true that in every tank (almost) there is a "King of the hill" ..? and its best to let fishes that can't hurt too much be the king ... and not a Zebrasoma or HT or triggers that can gore other fishes?

I have found that when I remove one bad guy another becomes bad ..

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fourstriped Damsel (Dascyllus aruanus), killed a bluegreen chromis, and a Coral Beauty. Was the first salt water fish I had. Was in a tank given to me by a friend getting out of the hobby.
After that I isolated it whenever I added a new fish. It seems it has finally gotten used to aquamates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back