What is the Meanest Fish You’ve Owned?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be a question of the day, but I’m curious about the meanest or otherwise most destructive fish you’ve owned? For me it would have to be a yellow belly damsel. He made it his mission to hollow out a cave wherever it suited him, and would make a point of turning my tank into a veritable snow globe every chance he got. He would even wait for me to fill in the holes, then cruise on over and dig twice the previous hole size just to spite me.

The meanest fish I’ve seen was a trigger (Nigerian maybe?) at my LFS. It bit anyone who stuck their hand in the tank to feed or clean, drawing blood on more than one occasion. It would even attack the glass when people walked by the tank. It had to be kept separately as it also killed any fish put with it.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meanest fish that I have owned over the years was also my smallest which was my Purple Dottyback. At the time it was the last fish added to the aquarium, but would chase every fish including my Yellow and Hippo Tang. For me that fish was a real A**hole.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably this guy. He kicked several holes in my drywall,
mascot-of-finding-nemo-clownfish-mascot-costume-customization-adult-clothing-cartoon-reality-t...jpg
drank o.j. from the carton and refused to use the litterbox. Luckily, he eventually went out for a pack of cigarettes and never came back. If you see this fish, don't believe anything he says. He's not from Michigan, He's not friends with your cousin, and if you let him crash on your couch....it will not be "just a couple of days" LOCK YOUR DOORS.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linespot flasher Wrasse, no bites yet, but when food is involved he gets really REALLY angry... but also beautiful.
His name is Shredder.

My Mcoskers wrasse has a vendetta against my Midas blenny "Homer" but is fine otherwise, plus, Homer can hold his own.

Yes, I name my fish... and shrimp.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limited experience and all nano but: Neon dottyback - tried to kill anything and everything aside from a pair of clowns until eventually he jumped. Had this really malicious way of sneaking up and ambushing while just looking ticked off.
Same neon dottyback

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sohal Tang followed by Passer angel

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm…meanest I’ve owned…

Saltwater would have to be a Clarkii clown (weak but I’ve never owned truly aggressive saltwater fish)

Freahwater would have to be my wife’s African cichlids. They don’t want anything invading their space.

Most aggressive I’ve seen (not in a public aquarium) would have to be volitan lion. Would hunt and kill anything the LFS put in the tank with it

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns. One would attack me, and another wanted to kill a firefish. Honorable mention, longnose hawk and roland's damsel. They both liked to attack others.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys want to see the MEANEST fish in the world? I present to you…

THE DOMINO DAMSEL!!
FC3EF11E-EDE8-4AE6-9EFE-1E9E45164E62.jpeg

When I was a newb in this hobby I bought this fish thinking it was cool. This sucker turned huge and the older it got, the more gray the body looked…and the MEANER it became. It was literally a killer.

It was extremely fast. I couldn’t catch it with my net (250 gallon tank). I even tried to use a hook with a fishing rod. I wanted this b#tch OUT!!!!

I gave up after weeks and hurricane Irma luckily striked, took out my power, and killed it! Whoohoo!

And here’s proof for you guys! Look at the date! Hurricane Irma was about a week after that post!

82058CDF-EC6D-4658-BA04-8E8A63E156A1.png

Last edited:

Jgardiner1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be a question of the day, but I’m curious about the meanest or otherwise most destructive fish you’ve owned? For me it would have to be a yellow belly damsel. He made it his mission to hollow out a cave wherever it suited him, and would make a point of turning my tank into a veritable snow globe every chance he got. He would even wait for me to fill in the holes, then cruise on over and dig twice the previous hole size just to spite me.

The meanest fish I’ve seen was a trigger (Nigerian maybe?) at my LFS. It bit anyone who stuck their hand in the tank to feed or clean, drawing blood on more than one occasion. It would even attack the glass when people walked by the tank. It had to be kept separately as it also killed any fish put with it.
By far the meanest fish ive ever owned(still do)... Hands down for me sohal tang... The bigger they get,the angrier they get.. It attackes everything from cleaning mags to tank mates,corals,algea clips,and me with zero hesitation..

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 13 year old (and counting) female Tomato clown. I had to remove her from my reef and put her in my FOWLR, because she would literally attack my hand everytime I put it in the tank. She still tries to do that in my big tank, but it's less of a problem.

She's the Momma Fratelli of saltwater fish.

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far my meanest fish was a Lyretail wrasse. I literally just tore down my entire tank to get him out. He just killed a group of anthias that I just added and that was the final straw. He also enjoyed harassing my firefish. Drove 3 royal grammas to death and countless others. Such a pain!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back