What is the Meanest Fish You’ve Owned?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must just be unlucky? My Powder Blue Tang is just the nicest community tank member and is no problem at all. I guess you can never tell with fish, some individuals are OK and some aren't.
How long have you had him? Mine was a model citizen for the first years and then turned into a messing piranha for the next six years. On the bright side, no ich for 10 years! He killed some seriously nice fish. A whole group of anthias, a mystery wrasse (also one tough fish btw), a solar wrasse, some clowns. Ugh. Finally gave him away to another reefer who had a massive tank. Last I heard, the guy trapped him and rehomed him to someone else. Apparently he was mean in the big tank too.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was a MENACE
ZomboMeme 28092021212417.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a hard one, in my first tank my lawnmower blenny would take bites out of any other fish I added. The comb shaped bite marks on the other fish's bodies were a dead give away. In my current tank the sailfin tang is really rude to any fish I add tail flicking them and chasing them all over the place. And my cuban hogfish sort of owns the tank and any fish that comes into its space gets chased (also ate my entire cuc minus fighting conchs). All in all I would say the lawnmower blenny takes the cake with the sailfin tang in second. I had a domino damsel and it was a terror but it died from an infection that spread from one of the lawnmower blennys bites so the domino was not in the running.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a a Maroon clownfish for 13 years. Bit me everytime I try to clean it's tank. Was in a 125gallon, but had to remove it as it took over 1/2 the tank and wouldnt let any other fish there. Even saw it grab a one foxface by the dorsal fin and push it across the tank. Ended up in a 29 gallon biocube I bought especially to rehome it. Lived in that tank for about ten years. RIP Hamlet, you onery *******

DK450reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be a question of the day, but I’m curious about the meanest or otherwise most destructive fish you’ve owned? For me it would have to be a yellow belly damsel. He made it his mission to hollow out a cave wherever it suited him, and would make a point of turning my tank into a veritable snow globe every chance he got. He would even wait for me to fill in the holes, then cruise on over and dig twice the previous hole size just to spite me.

The meanest fish I’ve seen was a trigger (Nigerian maybe?) at my LFS. It bit anyone who stuck their hand in the tank to feed or clean, drawing blood on more than one occasion. It would even attack the glass when people walked by the tank. It had to be kept separately as it also killed any fish put with it.
For me it’s is a husband wife team of maroon clowns. Constantly getting in the sand around their host anemone flushing sand everywhere. They are the first to cross the full length of the tank to nip my arm., repeatedly. I have had triggers like a Picasso sure he would bite but that was rare compared to these maroons.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one!
Yellowtail Damselfish - If I could have hit him with the laser I would have fried him in the tank.
Nowadays it's the seemingly helpful Aiptasia Filefish that has grown to mammoth proportions and is undoubtedly a mutant species with nothing but death and destruction on the brain.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's the purple tang that I have now. He isn't that aggression it's just that always before it I've avoided fish that had a reputation of being agressive.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked at my LFS we had quite a few nasty clownfish that learned to bite the webs of your fingers. Also had a Golden Puffer that had a vendetta against cleaner wrasses. Personally, the meanest fish I have owned was a purple tang.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black capped basslet is the boss of the tank. She kept my purple firefish hidden and would attack him anytime she could. I used a mirror and calmed the aggression.

my small male clown is now the butthole for me. Love bites most of the time my hands in the tank. No blood yet

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Female black storm clown was such a b**ch to all the designer clowns in our tank. During feedings she would literally press her body down on top of our mocha clowns and blacks ice clowns so they couldn’t eat. Then one day we woke up and she was gone. We are convinced that their was a gang clown killing during the night and they all took her out!

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be a question of the day, but I’m curious about the meanest or otherwise most destructive fish you’ve owned? For me it would have to be a yellow belly damsel. He made it his mission to hollow out a cave wherever it suited him, and would make a point of turning my tank into a veritable snow globe every chance he got. He would even wait for me to fill in the holes, then cruise on over and dig twice the previous hole size just to spite me.

The meanest fish I’ve seen was a trigger (Nigerian maybe?) at my LFS. It bit anyone who stuck their hand in the tank to feed or clean, drawing blood on more than one occasion. It would even attack the glass when people walked by the tank. It had to be kept separately as it also killed any fish put with it.
My Lightning Maroon Clown is the worst. And what really ticks me off is the fact that ever other fish in my tank will enter my fish trap but him.

tonyc247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I would call it meanest but my starry Blenny would bite any other fish especially my tangs and foxfaces would have circle bite marks
I just got a Starry this weekend and it almost took out my jaw fish. He’s in my refugium for now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back