What is the Meanest Fish You’ve Owned?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound crazy but my longnose hawk was a huge jerk. Had to rehome him. He was fine for 9 months and then suddenly tried to kill everything in my tank, even my bossy hippo tang… forced all 4 of my wrasses into hiding.. So he had to go.

Meanest fish I ever saw was a massive clown trigger at my old LFS. Had his own huge display tank, he was well over a foot.. probably closer to 2’. Beautiful fish.. but apparently he jumped out on multiple occasions to BITE people.. literally drawing blood outside of the water. Lol it was wild.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My purple tang. I’ve had sharks and eels and triggers, big angels… and this thing was the true ******. It pecked the eyes out of my self hatched bamboo shark and when my zebra moray eel got a small cut it pecked at its flesh until 6 inches of skin was gone and only stopped when I used egg crate to separate him….interesting side note though, my absolutely indestructible zebra moray grew its skin back as black and white squiggles in that area instead of the original stripes.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You must just be unlucky? My Powder Blue Tang is just the nicest community tank member and is no problem at all. I guess you can never tell with fish, some individuals are OK and some aren't.
No, your powder blue didn't read the rule book. You have that rebellious ****** who breaks all the rules.

My powder blue did read the rulebook and took an eye from my female fire fish.
Meanest fish award goes to
3. Six line wrasse "torpedo attacks"
2. Powder blue tang "relentless assault" Even attacked the net I went after him with.
1. Stars and stripes puffer "tore out tank member throats."

FL_Reefer27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not mean, but bossy. Blue spot jawfish.

Attachments

• 430A9EEB-517B-4A04-8090-F4BD414B3E8F.png
    430A9EEB-517B-4A04-8090-F4BD414B3E8F.png
    836.3 KB · Views: 35

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black lined dottyback (Pseudochromis perspicillatus)
He would attack any fish in the tank with him. Had to finally keep him by himself. Wanted to get a Jaguar dottyback but heard they're even worse.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little lady in my profile pic… her name was “The Queen” and she killed pretty much any snail or crab I put in my tank. She liked to corner the Trochus snails and grab them by the snout and proceed to bash them on the rock until they came out of their shell and then kill them. Rinse and repeat… went through a whole bunch of them before I caught her doing it. Oh yeah… she liked to bite my arm too.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far nastiest fish salt and fresh I have ever owned was a dovii. That fish is nasty. Just walking by, the fish would attack the glass so hard, the water would hit the glass canopy with water flying out and a bang as the glass canopy came back down. Nasty nasty fish. He was easily the smallest fish I added. With in the first 2 seconds he fought off a pair of flower horns and a pair of Red Devils. Within a day he killed the female flower horn. The male later was beaten so bad, I had to fish him out. The Red Devils would eventually removed as they losing. He then slowly got nastier and nastier.

Feeding him was a dang adventure as I would have towels ready to dry myself off. Water changes resulted in me being bloody. Forced me to buy the 30” gravel siphon. I eventually gave him away. He was close to 10” when I gave him away.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above Domino damsel. Absolute horror. Second would be a black and white clownfish I had years ago. Made my arms bleed by biting me the second my hand went in the water.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210926_132512029.jpg
this flame hawkfish for sure. I put in 2 cardinal banggai like both within a week. Then i put in 3 completely black Molly just to graze on some algae and in 2 hours took them all out. But he won't mess with the pistol shrimp and goby pairs, clown pairs or Mandarin. I don't get him.

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Maroon Clown. I’ve had my share of devil fish and never again. He loved my blood for the better part of 8 years

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A royal dotty back , it killed several fish I had at the end when I saw it attacking my designer clownfish I had enough and toke my rockwork apart to catch it then gave it back to my lfs for free .

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lightning maroon will literally take chunks of aragonite and throw them at the corals in the tank and any frags I add she rams with her head or smacks with her tail to knock them down. Never seen such aggression by a fish to corals. She also killed a scarlet shrimp.

On the other hand I think it’s a perfect example of a fish that is easily kept in a single species tank. They don’t care if they don’t have a ton of room as long as nothing is invading their space and I think they are the prettiest clowns.

Last edited:

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evil clown wrasse. All i'm gonna say. Domino damsel a close second. Royal gramma takes #3 spot!

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second tank, or my A hole tank as I call it, has a sixline, a royal dottyback and a lawnmower blenny (who munches corals). The dottyback and sixline are pretty even, the dottyback is probably a bit more aggressive but i've had it for longer. The blenny however is the boss of the tank, he chases the sixline and dottyback, and shows 0 interest if they try and confront him.
There's also a coral banded shrimp that will try to scare off the sixline and dottyback, but doesn't mess with the blenny.

Back