What is the most annoying thing about your fishtank?

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to help the R2R community figure out solutions to these pesky problems all of us experience. It can be anything from a fish problem to a piece of equipment to some kind of unknown hitchhiker. Please include pics if you have them so we can help you figure out the best solution and hopefully learn something new in the process. I will start this thread out. I actually have 2 issues that have been bothering me lately.

1- I have a Tunze skimmer(9001) for my 45 JBJ nano tank. I love my skimmer. It works really well however, after running for a few days it starts to make a spitting sound. The best I can describe it is it sounds like I'm making popcorn. I'm not sure if something is getting inside of it or if it's a problem with air flow. The only temporary solution I found is when it starts making that sound I take the collection cup off and pour water from the tank down the inside of the skimmer and it helps for another 4-5 days. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

2- I recently purchased a two little fishies magnetic seaweed clip. I like the clip and so do my fish. What I am finding is that when I feed seaweed my Angel nips at the seaweed right near the base that holds the seaweed and it never fails but the seaweed always comes off the clip and I find it in the intake, my filter pad, or on my MP10. I fold the seaweed up into thirds when I put it on the clip, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know some kind of solution?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- I have a Tunze skimmer(9001) for my 45 JBJ nano tank. I love my skimmer. It works really well however, after running for a few days it starts to make a spitting sound. The best I can describe it is it sounds like I'm making popcorn. I'm not sure if something is getting inside of it or if it's a problem with air flow. The only temporary solution I found is when it starts making that sound I take the collection cup off and pour water from the tank down the inside of the skimmer and it helps for another 4-5 days. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
This might be caused by gunk building up on the needle wheel impellor on the pump, you may need to do weekly maintenance on this area of the skimmer to keep the noises down.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2- I recently purchased a two little fishies magnetic seaweed clip. I like the clip and so do my fish. What I am finding is that when I feed seaweed my Angel nips at the seaweed right near the base that holds the seaweed and it never fails but the seaweed always comes off the clip and I find it in the intake, my filter pad, or on my MP10. I fold the seaweed up into thirds when I put it on the clip, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know some kind of solution?
I would try folding it maybe two or three times more along the same axis, like how you would fold a piece of paper to make a thick strip, and then cutting that piece in half so that not as much is hanging off the clip and feed the other half later. Also, mount the clip away from heavy flow.

Fish are fish and there's not much you can do about the way they eat except work it in a way that still allows them to eat but doesn't make as much mess for you to clean up later. Experiment with it some and you'll directly find a way that keeps them from making so much mess :)

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fold the seaweed up into thirds when I put it on the clip, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know some kind of solution?
I fold it up then tear into strips before putting into the clip so they can only pull small pieces off at one time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among my pet peeves:

1) Fish that won't get along despite being in a good sized tank and being well fed

2) keeping the water level in my sump up.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fold it up then tear into strips before putting into the clip so they can only pull small pieces off at one time.

I cut the seaweed so that its hanging out like how they use to have the small twisty wires at the grocery store. When the fish grabs and pulls, they only get that specific piece. If they want more, they can just come pluck off more.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holding a steady salinity even with a ATO...

Just curious are you topping off with only RODI water?

Salinity should be the easiest thing to stabilize in your tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put up a 75 gallon Sunday. No ATO or skimmate yet. I checked the SG yesterday to see how much it had gone up to add some water. The SG had gone down 1 full point.

Mind blown.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty GLASS! I can not STAND growth on the inside of my glass. I am OCD about it!

Daily I am wiping fingerprints off the outside of the glass from my 2 and 3 year old daughters!

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pet peeve? That I don't have enough space in my living room for a larger tank! Although my wife wants me to get rid of my mothers antique cherry hutch, I'm not sure I can part with it. It would free up 8' of wall space in the dining room however....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The size...I want a 400+ gallon reef!!

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I am but since I have a Nuvo 40 AIO but every now and then simple things set off the ATO. Like changing the skimmer cup sets it off idk why...

I was thinking of lowering it

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not stand noisy equipment. Pumps and powerheads that are advertised as silent end up humming or vibrating and it drives me up the wall!
My skimemr the Tunze 9001 is loud idk what the heck to do different to fix it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back