What is the most expensive item you bought for your tank and no longer use?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wet dry back in 1987-88, I bought at the petland in maple heights oh. Anyone whe went to that one back then knows it was nothing like you see now. They had the acrylic bubble glass, and wave tanks ect. I paid about 1k for that wet dry.with a ton of bio balls ect. I hated that thing after the 1st year lol

CR_Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 1 radions a month after they came out. 800 each for 3 lights that cooked my entire tank. I got so mad I threw them all away.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the most expensive thing I ever bought that I stopped using (not because it broke) was a wet/dry trickle filter that cost me a couple hundred bucks back in the day. It was large and expensive at the time. I don't miss it at all.

Snap. I bought one in 92. It’s still in my mum’s garage, about 5000 miles away, so I guess it will never be used.

I have loads of items I’ve never even used.

I bought a second hand tank and it came with lots of My Reef Creation reactors I’ve never used. I bought a kamoer continuous dose pump to go with it, but I stuck with 3 part dosing in the end.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spouse

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Danj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you like the filter roller? I just bought the large bubble magus one like 8 inches for my new tank build but haven't set it up yet.
Following... I just installed one of those large bubble magus rollers in my RSR500 on tuesday. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of opening up the cabinet a couple times a day just to smile at it. No complaints so far

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(This is a repost from a previous thread)

The KLIR was going through a roll every 10 - 14 days. The cost was more than I anticipated (approx $30 - $40 a month) and changing rolls out was not something I liked or wanted to do. Changing out the KLIR filter roll was almost like cleaning a skimmer. Disconnect the wires, carefully pull the wires through the stand that are connected to the filter roller, lift the filter roller out of the sump without spilling water everywhere, partially disassemble the filter roller, remove the old roll, snake the new roll through the rollers without wearing gloves because of the tight space and tape, reassemble the filter roller, place back into sump, snake wires back through the stand, reconnect the wires, and repeat everything in a week and a half.

The water was nice and clear but at the same time the roll was removing the live phytoplankton that was being dosed twice daily.

In the end I took the filter roller offline and went back to using and changing pinkyfilters every few days.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9001. Got it used with the tank but it's expensive new.

They make good pumps, skimmers on the other hand...

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a RoboSnail Auto Glass Cleaner many years ago.

Was fun to setup and watch but once the novelety wore off it has been put back in box and just collecting dust for a while. (outside tank).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Reef Octopus skimmer, but to be fair I bought it in the mid 2000's and I used it for a long time before "upgrading". I'd still be using it today except for the way it's designed it splashes water everywhere, and I never bothered to mod it to fix that issue.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Cheato reactor. I just bought some cheato from AlgaeBarn so I’m going to give it another run.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back