What is the Most Interesting Thing You Have Seen in Your Aquarium

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at our fish tanks can be enjoyable at times, and sometimes we can see something that really catches our eye. I am wondering what is the most interesting thing or event you have seen in your tank. There are many different ways to answer the question, so I am curious to see everyone's thoughts!!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently added some ocean direct live rock to my tank and I'm seeing all kinds of crazy things coming out of it. Things I have never seen before in my 25+ years of being in this hobby. That's what I love about saltwater so much...when you think you've seen it all...something new will pop up. It never gets boring to me.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This red knobby starfish always seems to steal the show!

1683207459695.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An inconspicuous cave/tunnel at the base of my large rockscape that houses my goby and pistol shrimp. Friends like to watch feeding time when the goby always comes out and occasionally the shrimp will be seen as well.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mixed Zoa colony a while back from my LFS store. It wasn't until about 6 months into having it in my tank I realized there was a clam or mussel (not sure which) about the size of a nickel attached to the rock the colony came on.

The Zoas had grown all over the shell so it looked like part of the rock and at the angle I had it positioned I couldn't see the clam open while it was doing it's thing.

When I moved the rock/colony to another location I saw the clam. It was an unexpected but cool little surprise.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lil gremlin was using the screen top like a poolside hammock as she tried to figure out how to get her mits in the water.
She no longer attempts that, but I’ll catch her sitting on the rim. She is very fast once I see her tho

version=1&uuid=BCC227B7-3F0F-4115-87D7-EB1B8E802966&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
I could easily see my cat doing this

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife’s hand attempting to superglue a Zoa frag to the side of a rock.

amazing stuff
I would say the same but my wife is actually better at securing corals than I am. I'm more of a "bull in a china shop" most of the time. I've "accidentally" fragged a few Acros while adding coral to new locations. :oops:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get a lettuce nudibranch as well as a berghia in the same shipment from gulf coast ecosystems one time. Also, have had emeralds and peppermints both breed and release larvae, which while unlikely to live to adulthood, was still fascinating
Snapchat-1920022670.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the name of it now, but when I got some live rock I had a weird kind of pistol shrimp that lives its whole life inside a hole in a rock (not a tunnel in the sand - a crevice in bae rock) and never comes out. It only reaches outside the hole with long claws/pinchers to feed and snap at things.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decade ago I had a 20g tank that, after developing a small addiction, ended up with a total of about a pom pom crabs.

The most interesting thing I’ve ever seen was these crabs developing little gangs and clans. And at dusk they would all crawl to the top of this one rock and have little gang clashes for about an hour before all going their separate ways again. I still don’t know how they picked teams, but it was both confusing and fascinating to watch.

They’d do lots of other interesting things, too. If a crab lost one of its pom poms it would just rip a piece off the anemone in the other hand and grow a new one. If a crab ever lost both pom poms, it would just go mug another crab and steal one from them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at our fish tanks can be enjoyable at times, and sometimes we can see something that really catches our eye. I am wondering what is the most interesting thing or event you have seen in your tank. There are many different ways to answer the question, so I am curious to see everyone's thoughts!!
Breeding… But not between just any fish!
My first ever fish to breed in my own tank (unintentionally) were Pinkies! I’ve seen breeding behaviour between these two but it’s not really been successful previously but lo and behold they were successful. Obviously I didn’t try save the young however it was interesting to see :)
0BBC848E-1CA0-4442-9DC2-51507DF6649E.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding… But not between just any fish!
My first ever fish to breed in my own tank (unintentionally) were Pinkies! I’ve seen breeding behaviour between these two but it’s not really been successful previously but lo and behold they were successful. Obviously I didn’t try save the young however it was interesting to see :)
0BBC848E-1CA0-4442-9DC2-51507DF6649E.jpeg

WHAT?! I am so jealous! My pink streaks are my favorite little duo, and I’d love to see little babies.

What kind of behaviors do they start showing when breeding? I’ve never heard of anyone breeding them and am beyond curious.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back