What is the most peaceful and pretty damsel fish?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure that's a fiji blue devil? looks like a springeri to me
This is not what I have.
E0DBE4BC-0A4F-442E-8A40-2882A23B140A.png

The markings you see on mine are missing scales, It’s normally an even solid blue. Could maybe be a sapphire? I’ve just always assumed it was a blue devil since that’s what I purchased it as.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tag @Katrina71 !!

sooo...what should I do damsel experts? I have a Fiji Blue Devil that has been in my 28g tank since the beginning (last week in February this year). Went in the tank with one female clown, I later added another clown, a 6 line, and a lawnmower blenny. Everyone got along just fine up. That lasted until a couple weeks ago when my 6 line killed my blenny. Yesterday, my damsel looked like she had been in a car wreck overnight. Not sure if it was the 6 line or my female clown, but she is looking rough. Was this just a dominance thing that she lost? Would adding a second damsel help or hurt the situation, or am I just completely screwed and should remove her entirely?
BC5E9CD1-2CB0-4365-97C3-78EF4857B3FC.jpeg

This is a great example of what haydn wrote. Misidentification and the confusion caused by common names and uninformed retailers (and wholesalers)

The fish pictured isn't C.tapou, "blue devil". It looks like C. springeri. Confusing the matter even more the retailer shows a fish that is called C. Springeri frequently but probably is not.

This is why some think one species or another is satan but others think they are angels. They are frequently talking about two different fish.

I'm out of this thread now, Ive done what I can to spread the truth about a misunderstood group of fish. To damsel or not to damsel is up to each individual aquarist.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the six line back the the store. They are a fish that should not be in the hobby IMO.

Can you get a better pic of the damsel? Doesn’t look quite right for a C. tapou. If it is, they are one of the most aggressive of the chrysiptera damsels and that may have to go as well. A 28g tank is not large enough for one C.tapou long term but a springeri could work. Really though a 28g tank isn’t the best idea for any damsel.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great example of what haydn wrote. Misidentification and the confusion caused by common names and uninformed retailers (and wholesalers)

The fish pictured isn't C.tapou, "blue devil". It looks like C. springeri. Confusing the matter even more the retailer shows a fish that is called C. Springeri frequently but probably is not.

This is why some think one species or another is satan but others think they are angels. They are frequently talking about two different fish.

I'm out of this thread now, Ive done what I can to spread the truth about a misunderstood group of fish. To damsel or not to damsel is up to each individual aquarist.
Agreed. Making educated choices makes all the difference whether it’s damsels or any other fish, inverts, etc.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 of these and they’re ok but definitely aggressive and one can’t catch them ever. I would not put more damsels in my tank. I also have a dark blue one. Not the biggest fan but that’s just me. They’re very territorial and fight anybody what comes close they also dig a little house in the sand bed under the rocks if they dint find a perfect hole anywhere

83D05EF4-9603-45D6-90B0-CD9410D76F45.jpeg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Springeri in every tank and none are aggressive. 1 out of every 2 will also eat Flatworm /red planaria so that's a major bonus. Most others will defend their territory regularly. If your tank is small, their territory might be your whole tank.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Talbot's? I like em mostly for their coloration. They seem pretty decent in temperament compared to other damsel species.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had green, blue, and barrier reef chromis. All peaceful. Blue and green both died off after a few months. The barrier reef chromis lived for a couple years before I traded it.

If you had more than one of each I think you have found the problem with so called "peaceful" chromis. They should live for years, not months, and whilst damsels get a bad rap they generally coexist much better in groups.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one important thing I haven't seen mentioned and it's perhaps the most important aspect of keeping damsels is when you add them. If you put them it's as first fish and then add more timid fish after you are asking for trouble, if you follow the advice or least aggressive-aggressive and add them nearer the end you will likely have a much more harmonious time. It's no different to adding anything else, whack a powder blue in first and you'll likely run into problems, add it last and you will probably be alright until you start replacing old fish.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man i want some damsels. Cheap, beautiful and dam mean!

I wonder if my panther grouper wont eat them... a man can dream...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back