What is the most peaceful and pretty damsel fish?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200101_150155.jpg

A shot of my tank of mean fish, lol.

Your Tomini is a great looking fish. Stunning.

I have a 3" juveniles that's in qt right now. Brilliant yellow find and grey body, but I can't wait until she gets adult colouration- stunning!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Tomini is a great looking fish. Stunning.

I have a 3" juveniles that's in qt right now. Brilliant yellow find and grey body, but I can't wait until she gets adult colouration- stunning!
Thank you, he is a riot, a very personality heavy fish, in a good way.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, he is a riot, a very personality heavy fish, in a good way.
What convinced me to get one was seeing one alongside a purple tang and a sailfin in Travis (fish of hex) 300 gallon. In a tank full of amazing corals- I couldn't stop watching the Tomini, lol

Mine is still in qt battling a mouth lesion of some sort. 14 days of NFG did nothing. Need to figure it out

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What convinced me to get one was seeing one alongside a purple tang and a sailfin in Travis (fish of hex) 300 gallon. In a tank full of amazing corals- I couldn't stop watching the Tomini, lol

Mine is still in qt battling a mouth lesion of some sort. 14 days of NFG did nothing. Need to figure it out
A fellow watcher of Travis

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q about your springers damsels: do you have the mostly blue form (true springerii ) or the one with black speckles and stripes?

IMG_1927.jpg

And where did you get them?

I'm looking for 5-6 of the dark speckled firm, which isn't the true springers damsel, but which everyone has pics of on their store website, but everyone os out of stock.

The only in stock springers I can find are at BlueZoo aquatics but the pic is fuzzy and color is overblown so I can't tell.

Thanks
The one on the right is what you want. The one on the left gets larger and turns black. Although I believe your wrong on the springeri name as that is the scientific name for the one on the right... Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera springeri)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on the right is what you want. The one on the left gets larger and turns black. Although I believe your wrong on the springeri name as that is the scientific name for the one on the right... Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera springeri)
THe one on the right is an as yet to officially named related damsel. Commonly misidentified and sold as the springerii

The true chrysiptera springerii is the one on the left. There's a link to an article earlier in this thread, and more info Online.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like what is the 'true' springers damsel

From that article:

After a few back and forth question and answering we received confirmation from Jerry Allen via Rudie Kuiter who replied “The dark Chrysiptera is an undescribed species from the Philippines that is closely related to C. springeri“. He went on to add that he and some colleagues are in the process of describing the black and blue Chrysiptera species. So there you have it, the blue fish is the true C. springeri and the other morph is in the process of being bamed'

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the blacker one, i really like that fish. the blue really pops

i will say i did try to add an azure a few months ago and my previously whimpy springer damsel went full savage mode on that fish. it was my mistake only adding 1 to 1, but dang. i had to rescue and sump the azure or else it was gonna die

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the blacker one, i really like that fish. the blue really pops

i will say i did try to add an azure a few months ago and my previously whimpy springer damsel went full savage mode on that fish. it was my mistake only adding 1 to 1, but dang. i had to rescue and sump the azure or else it was gonna die
Did the azure recover

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that article:

After a few back and forth question and answering we received confirmation from Jerry Allen via Rudie Kuiter who replied “The dark Chrysiptera is an undescribed species from the Philippines that is closely related to C. springeri“. He went on to add that he and some colleagues are in the process of describing the black and blue Chrysiptera species. So there you have it, the blue fish is the true C. springeri and the other morph is in the process of being bamed'
noted. liveaquaria has it wrong then. Anyway the one on the right is more peaceful ime and is hit or miss with eating red planaria. Mostly miss on the latter.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noted. liveaquaria has it wrong then. Anyway the one on the right is more peaceful ime and is hit or miss with eating red planaria. Mostly miss on the latter.
PRetty much everyone's has the ID wrong, lol

The problem is- I want the one on the right (gorgeous, plus that's the one everyone is talking about when they say it so super peaceful) and the only place I can find springers in stock is BlueZoo. However- the picture on their website sucks and it could literally be either.

I email them today asking to verify which color form they have in stock, using those pics as a reference. If they've have to her dark form on the right- I'll be getting 6, and a replacement Midas blenny and a aiptasia eating file fish.

Last edited:

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer would be more peaceful.
Completely agree. I had each in a 16 gallon with a six line and they were great together. One of my buddies has since put several in his larger tank after seeing this and now happy as well and they are well behaved for him also

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yellow tails and talbots in my reef. All are peaceful.
I have two and i completely disagree on the talbots. I added a kole tang and it kept it in the corner until it was removed.... Springer is a better option and they are great at controlling pest.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PRetty much everyone's has the ID wrong, lol

The problem is- I want the one on the right (gorgeous, plus that's the one everyone is talking about when they say it so super peaceful) and the only place I can find springers in stock is BlueZoo. However- the picture on their website sucks and it could literally be either.

I email them today asking to verify which color form they have in stock, using those pics as a reference. If they've have to her dark form on the right- I'll be getting 6, and a replacement Midas blenny and a aiptasia eating file fish.
I can tell you wet pets in Vernon, CT has them. Not sure if you can get them to ship (If needed) but they usually have a bunch. Thats where I get them from and I have them in nearly all my tanks. Also wet pets runs all their fish through a week of copper before they hit their tanks.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you wet pets in Vernon, CT has them. Not sure if you can get them to ship (If needed) but they usually have a bunch. Thats where I get them from and I have them in nearly all my tanks. Also wet pets runs all their fish through a week of copper before they hit their tanks.
THanks for the source, but a week in copper is a no no for me.

IM hoping BlueZoo gets back to me soon

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get chromis instead? They are more peaceful ime. And they don’t attack when you put your arm in the tank ;Hilarious
You cant say all damsels are bad and then turn around and say chromis are good. Chromis (and clownfish) ARE damsels

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q about your springers damsels: do you have the mostly blue form (true springerii ) or the one with black speckles and stripes?

IMG_1927.jpg

And where did you get them?

I'm looking for 5-6 of the dark speckled firm, which isn't the true springers damsel, but which everyone has pics of on their store website, but everyone os out of stock.

The only in stock springers I can find are at BlueZoo aquatics but the pic is fuzzy and color is overblown so I can't tell.

Thanks
Mostly blue form, purchased from Neptune Aquatics in San Jose, CA

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every damsel depends on the situation and the individual almost every species has had some fish work out great I mean someone has to have an adult domino damsel not annoying anyone.

Back