What is the Most Unique Reef Tank You Have Ever Seen

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to post a video I shot last nite. forgive the snarkiness but I have been working with some old school reefers who apparently don't use Google in a thread on scienceforums.net for 14 straight years, arguing with them lol, that I'm not photoshopping anything.

Reefers from the 1970's who do not use google today cannot fathom nor accept the possibility we got lucky with small systems and they just work and that we don't have to test everything and use big pumps and filters like they did.

the scaling down causes them hatred/concern that I'm tricking people so literally for 14 straight years Ive been battling with Moontanman there that I'm not a liar lol. that's why I'm snotty in this video, taken last nite

I started out accepting of his doubt/rather thankful that a seasoned reefer could not envision a real micro pico reef but now it's going on too long, google exists, nano-reef.com exists, and he could be vetting all these claims without being as mean but he just wont. so here's the most updated vid of my vase:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That jar above is martiza's

this one is mine

the sealed reef tank traveling to a quick science show:

CarReef.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that might be worth $300K in total, which is shocking. a reef worth the size of a huge house.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it works exactly like this:

I just moved up to Austin area a month ago, I always rip clean any reef tank before it's moved

so the vase was moved up with 100% rinsed sand, glass burned clean from the inside with vinegar wipes/ my old rocks and corals were moved up here and put in a cleaned vase over new rinsed sand, that buys me about 3 mos spoilage literally no cleaning

in 3 mos of me feeding reef roids bc I can't find roti pods up here/city of 3 million can't get me roti pods lol/ Ill have hazy cyano on the glass and with each draining water change Ill scoot the magnet frags around and make room to wipe off the inside of the drained vase with a wet paper towel of peroxide

no scraping needed, just wipe and let the peroxide burn a sec. fill back up tank with new change water at .025

that algae sloughs off in three days and its back to laser clean, Ill have to do this more often over the next 18 mos until its to the point I just rip clean it and start over with rinsed sand. as long as the sand stays free of organic accumulation I won't have to do work on glass cleaning. I use no clean up crews, they'll knock over my frags and fill the sand with waste pellets. hand control.

Maritza doesnt have to do any of this, hers just runs great. Bob Ross could paint realism trees with a q-tip, I do what works for the everyman lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fungia wants to eat the brain coral above it, every day its stretching to take him right in lol. one day that fungiid will win, he'll just crawl up there and eat the brain coral.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A teacher at a high school has a set of tanks one very large and wholly Molly the large one has giant Acropora colonies. Got alot of pics, they're on and older phone somewhere. Other than that I have a unique tank, lots of corals and for fish, triggers, grouper, broomtail wrasse, and the icing on the cake a Japanese Dragon Eel.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A teacher at a high school has a set of tanks one very large and wholly Molly the large one has giant Acropora colonies. Got alot of pics, they're on and older phone somewhere. Other than that I have a unique tank, lots of corals and for fish, triggers, grouper, broomtail wrasse, and the icing on the cake a Japanese Dragon Eel.

Well, now I'm jealous.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fungia wants to eat the brain coral above it, every day its stretching to take him right in lol. one day that fungiid will win, he'll just crawl up there and eat the brain coral.
By the way, the NOAA link on your posts is dead. I guess they moved the page.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some phenomenal tanks, but the one that fascinated me was a local club member who had a fourteen foot long tank. Not very wide, not very deep, not all coraled up with sps, but nice and long. And what I found fascinating was watching tangs speed up and down the tank at full speed with no obstructions. After seeing that, you'll realize why a tang should never go into a small tank. It's like owning a Lamborghini and only driving it up and down your driveway.

EDIT TO ADD:

I made a mistake. In going to find a picture, I discovered I was off by two feet. The tank was only 12 feet long. Here it is shortly after it was set up.

1673544747250.png
Imagine trying to get a fish outta there.....

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no other one on the planet:

ever seen a reef tank that does not require topoff any number of days it runs, a zero, 100% contained evaporation reef tank? nope, we have not.

I ran this at .023 for three years no topoff before selling it at a trade show.
2x13watts5050.jpg

mini.75.jpg

rear mini.jpg

look at the rear image for the technique

thats a sealed glass lid pressed onto weatherstripping by the weight of the canopy.

the lines for heater, and pump, are cut/ran through sealing grommets in the lid/and spliced back cleanly for a pass-through

you can imagine how that would stop all evaporation

(well how do you deal with Co2 and O2)

check out them clues.

the only non evaporating reef tank in the world is 20 year old tech.

once PNW catches onto that sometime soon/I bet there's a cool way to run their micro reef as sealed. :)

I was never in it to make money that's for sure. reefing is a suckhole that takes all mine.

3 tanks.jpg

lid lift.jpg

reef2.jpg

reefc (1).jpg

reef3.jpg

sidemeasure.jpg

First tabletop acropora ever grown in a pico reef, half gallon

grown in two inches of front to back depth with about 13 species of corals give or take

those are not frag plugs, they're adhered given time and happiness. all of them.

tabular full.jpg

thats about 2003
That's crazy the got that to work!!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly wish someone would build sealed reef tank with me of a larger size, say 25 gallons.

a non evaporating reef tank at 25 gallons would be a first in reefing, and it's not hard to do at all.

It has not been done in reefing, no scientist has done it, no macna discussion involves non evaporating reef tanks...an easy first is waiting for someone to seize.

there's a few ways we can have a custom glass lid cut to fit the tank to effect a seal. The glass lid would not simply rest on the top lip of the tank, that's a formula for salt creep. the right way to seal up a common square 25 gallon glass nano for sealing experimentation is by having a custom square lid cut in glass, with grommeted pass-through holes like above, and then small plastic guides are affixed to the inside of the tank just up under the top surface of the opening to the aquarium. this means when we get the glass lid made, it has to be smaller than the footprint of the main tank opening by just enough space to allow it to sit on those plastic guides vs the outer rim of the tank like the standard approach to a lid would be

it has to be an inner-diameter fit, and for the seal on the glass lid: split common silicone airline tubing ran around the perimeter and glued into place with silicone. don't round the corners; keep the seal matched to the 90 degree angles in the square reef tank by cutting the tubing at angles like a woodworker would do for a 90-degree corner in a drawer

we need to have that custom glass lid measured so that when airline is split, and applied as a seal on the perimeter of the custom glass lid, it presses nicely into place on the -inside- of the reef tank until it reaches the plastic supports that keep it from falling into the water and allows just a tiny extra gap for airline tubing to be pressing against the inside upper walls of the square glass tank. put some type of handle on the middle section so the lid can be lifted.

sitting inner diameter stops salt creep nearly always.

everything else from there is easy: common LED lighting from an hd prime won't overheat, and frankly there is no need for that internal refugium to pump gas and takeup co2, simply keep the water line of the reef tank lower than normal to allow for a solid inch of air atmosphere between the glass lid and the water, that's enough buffer to get out a few days most likely and simply raising the lid 2 seconds and putting it down exchanges the gasses as catch up. it's salinity will not shift in the interim, topoff will not factor in this reef tank design. add the refugium on counter lighting and you could get out a week without refreshment, I did it all the time on that little model.

*make one of the access holes pre drilled in the lid a tiny corked hole to dump food in lol. you could also just leave the cork out, and have a 99.99% non evaporating reef tank.

Last edited:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods reef (before his food got popular he was in a shed in in moms backyard. he had a tank with the black onyx clowns with big surges on it and a huge etss skimmer it was amazing...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey who made reef roids I want to read up on them. it works great in my vase.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did rod's food for about eight years straight in my vase too: good stuff coral mix. those yellow egg packets he sells are what I'm trying next/ I had misread reef roids for rods above lol. both darn good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen some phenomenal tanks, but the one that fascinated me was a local club member who had a fourteen foot long tank. Not very wide, not very deep, not all coraled up with sps, but nice and long. And what I found fascinating was watching tangs speed up and down the tank at full speed with no obstructions. After seeing that, you'll realize why a tang should never go into a small tank. It's like owning a Lamborghini and only driving it up and down your driveway.

EDIT TO ADD:

I made a mistake. In going to find a picture, I discovered I was off by two feet. The tank was only 12 feet long. Here it is shortly after it was set up.

1673544747250.png
IMHO - your mistake was that tangs will dart from hiding place to hiding place - I have 3 in a 5 foot tank - and there is no darting. This tank has 0 hiding places - and 0 security zones - so to speak. 14 feet is nothing compared to miles of reef. It's about hiding places - and territory. You would see the same thing in a 20 foot tank with no hiding places - and perhaps suggest that tangs need a 20 foot tank. IMHO

Back