What is the most weird fish behaviour in your tank

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my fish but, once I was at petco and they had a baby maroon clown in the tank with a cleaner shrimp. Every now and then, the clown would bite the antenna of the shrimp in his mouth and tow him off the rock. Had it not been for the fact that I already have a OC clown, he would have been in my tank currently.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface constantly swimming to surface and making bubbling noise… He does that every day when light are ramping down.

He likes to bubble around and it sounds so weird.. Always in the same corner.

I mean not once.. all few minutes for the whole night until lights are off.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dragon face pipe fish literally wants to swim through my fingers/ sit in my hand anytime I’m in my reef tank doing maintenance lol. It’s by far one of the most interesting fish I’ve owned throughout all of the years I’ve been keeping tanks! If you farm pods or have a self sustaining population in the tank I highly recommend them! (I was imagining a timid fish that I wouldn’t see very much and that’s not at all the case)

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Forktail Blenny likes to sleep inside the Toadstool, with the coral wrapped around him. Alternatively it sleeps vertically in one corner of the tank Stuck to the glass.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon clownfish moves sand with her mouth and digs! I guess she thinks shes like my engineer goby even though they are not in the same tank!!

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny often hides in crevices in the rock, especially near bedtime. But if I look in the tank, or even just walk by it, he'll jump out toward the front glass. And no one else in my household seems to have that affect on him!

matty1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No longer have my tank, but my orange stripe tang used to strip my tuxedo urchin of all of his bling if he went anywhere near her cave. She would parade around the tank with his belongings and drop them at the other side of the tank. Tuxedo urchin had to spend the rest of the day out of the cave to get dressed again! this happened often!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a striped dottyback that digs and burrows like a goby, a parrotfish that likes to be petted like a dog, a midas blenny that spontaneously changed color (permanent), a royal gramma that does not enjoy spending any time in the rocks, two clownfish that host a condy anemone (yes, condy) and a pair of chromis that spend most of their time in barnacles (not swimming about). And they all splash me when they see me bring out the food but take to long in distributing it.

Knr499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink tail trigger fish swimming laps around the wave maker

foxface and orange shoulder tang at the surface taking in air to release it through their gills

Lawnmower blenny and blue tang fighting over a section of glass to clean
My Coral Beauty Angel does the laps around powerhead thing.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solar wrasse is really curious - if I’m working in the tank, he’s there swimming around by my hands. I recently added a one spot foxface and they’ve become buddies - so now if I’m in the tank, the foxface is there too. Not a fan of that with his spines.

I also have a banggai cardinal that will swim over to the nori clip and just stare at it as soon as I put the nori in. He’ll watch the other fish peck at it. Sometimes he’ll start to move in like he’s going to try eating the nori - then backs off and continues watching.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dori constantly playing dead. I've tried removing her twice from the tank to dispose of her. False alarm.

perhaps dori is a believer that all drains lead to the ocean...

1680354124190.png

but can't remember long enough to keep playing dead...

finding dory GIF

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the OP didn’t get the memo about damsels :squinting-face-with-tongue:

My weird behavior in my tank is if my fish don’t get feed in a timely manner they some fish will scoop up sand and spit it in corals and the rock work.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solar wrasse is really curious - if I’m working in the tank, he’s there swimming around by my hands. I recently added a one spot foxface and they’ve become buddies - so now if I’m in the tank, the foxface is there too. Not a fan of that with his spines.

I also have a banggai cardinal that will swim over to the nori clip and just stare at it as soon as I put the nori in. He’ll watch the other fish peck at it. Sometimes he’ll start to move in like he’s going to try eating the nori - then backs off and continues watching.
Mine fights the glass for hours:squinting-face-with-tongue:

james v faber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Powder blue Tang , Yellow Tang ,Blue Tang, Yellow belly Tang, Desjardins Tang all placed in at the same time to my 180 gallon reef tank cohabitating peacefully for over a year with no problems.
All of a sudden my Powder Blue Tang slowly started going nuts and attacking the other Tangs and eating coral like crazy.
The Tangs were well fed.
The Powder Blue KILLED all the other Tangs one by one by bullying them to death.
The Powder Blue died by itself.
I have been a Reefer for over 20 years.
If you gave me another Powder Blue I would not place it in my tank.
Also I had 2 Tomato clownfish male and female that cohabitated a red Amenity and the female even laid eggs.
The 2 red clowns came to POSSESS their amenity and the area of the tank that they were in and kill other fish.
I will also never get red clowns again with an amenity.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon Dottyback and Flameback AngelFish used to get into it. Then the Neon Dottyback figured out when the Angel picks at Rocks, tiny Bristle Worms come out, now it’s best of buddies with the Angel. The Flameback has been moved to my 120 Gallon, along with a Nox Angel. They do this Circling thing with each other, but never touch or nip the other one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back