What is the one piece of EQUIPMENT that's amazingly still working, much longer than you expected?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 year old Sicce Return Pump.. In that time I have had 3 Jebao failures on other tanks and 1 Jebao powerhead.

I also have a 3 year old Lifegard return and my main one is.. a 20+ year old return from an asian company I cant recall the mfgr of and a powerhead . marineland. I have a 2 -20+ year old HOB filter. i think are Whispers. I even have a couple 20+ year old hang on tank heaters but am afraid to test them, They worked 10 years ago.. I have several 30+ year old All Glass 10 gallon tanks too.. holding water ..

Reminds me, I have a 40 breeder from the early 80's and a 30 gallon flat that I build in the 80's too. I think I stil have the motor from my diatom filter and I know that is still working but the rest of it is gone. I have a bunch of Flourescent fixtures that still work but a couple need a new starter.

I really got a lot of working junk that arent usable for a reef tank..

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one or two of my diatom filters are from the 60s, so thats about 60 years.
Parts of them anyway as I re built them many times.

And I am still running a couple of these, probably from the 70s or 80s.

I don't remember when I built my skimmer but it has to be at least 25 years ago.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of kessil 360s from when they first came out in 2014. The tinkerer in me really wants to replace them, but they still work and if my par meter says they are good then they stay.

I also have a wave line pump that I recently replaced with a COR simply because I couldn’t believe it wasn’t going to give out at some point and a pair of eb8’s from an apex classic that (to put it charitably) seem to be lasting quite a bit better than the 832 I already had to deal with.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor LED light. $500 Canadian but well worth it. Bought another to install on my new tank, but opted for aqua nest M'8 instead as I needed 2. Cool light time will tell. M8 Is WIFI programable

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheap jebao dosing pump that get's a "don't buy it, it will break" rating on most reefing forums :)
i purchased two, one to keep as a spare, haven't needed the spare yet.
been running 3 years now.

hope i didn't jinx myself with this post LOL

J.
My jebao pump has been solid for 2.5 years

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I know if I still have my sanity? Or ever had it when I started in this crazy hobby, or should I say obsession...?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mag-Drive 9 return pump in continuous operation since 2001. I don't think I've cleaned it more than two times.
I also have a mag drive 9.5 pump. I bought it used and it was my return pump for about 15 years. Now it is my salt mix pump and is still going strong.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I see a bunch of places to get them online now. But I would imagine they probably disappeared for a good long while because I haven't seen one in forever. I've heard the name however and didn't realize what it was.

I'd love some links where they are available.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the one piece of EQUIPMENT that's amazingly still working, much longer than you expected?

For me.... my dryside Vortechs. 'Dem suckers have been spinning trouble free for 15 years. Also my Reef Flo Hammerhead pump. Been pushing water for 10 years.

The Sun. The Sun is still working and my tank is (and I am) loving it for much longer than I had expected.

My tank is sun-lit for 8 hours in a day. My corals love the sun and hate my $3K Reefbrite XHO system (doesn't matter if I run them at 10% or 70% instensity). Like they literally hate the ReefBrite XHOs, but become all fat and puffy to greet the sun. So annoying!! :cool:

I would go as far as saying that having a reef tank away from the window almost feels like an old-wive's tale, from the days when filter media/bacteria products and monitoring were far less advanced than current times.

Thank God for the Sun. My corals would have shrivelled otherwise.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love some links where they are available.
They might have changed the name.
On their website they still refer to them as litermeter so I don't know what gives.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They might have changed the name.
On their website they still refer to them as litermeter so I don't know what gives.

You're pointing to an entirely different product in the 1st link and the second link doesn't point to an LM III in stock.

Trust me, they are out of stock everywhere.

LM IV is supposed to be released soon'ish but the new pricing on their site has gone north substantially so not even sure if this will be an affordable solution anymore.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me.... my dryside Vortechs. 'Dem suckers have been spinning trouble free for 15 years. Also my Reef Flo Hammerhead pump. Been pushing water for 10 years.

Eheim 2217 canisters 20 plus years More reliable than most people LOL

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's awesome seeing all the recommendations for products that people have :oops::Dhad running for over a decade!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back