What is the perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium?

Is there a perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • NO

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 96 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora!

images.jpeg-28.jpg

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to quantify a "best all around coral" imo. Taste is very different for every person and what one will find easy to care for another might not. What one will find attractive another will find distasteful. It's all personal opinion on what each person seems to like. I would say there are best all around corals for different people specifically but not the hobby as a whole. Just my opinion tho, there are tons of really cool easy to care for corals out there.. but not everyone will like every one of them the same

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally Gonis, Stylophora, and Euphillia seem the easiest and happiest my tank.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms are cool. Let's be honest. Colorful. has texture. Most are easy to grow. Bounce fetch dollars. If GSP wasn't green then I'd add those too but I get it. Sticks are cooler. Softies swaying in the current more entertaining. Could just add a tone of fish.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance would be my first thought. The Australian varieties are colorful and hardy, they don't need much light (but can adapt to higher lighting over time), handle less than ideal water parameters pretty well, and I've never really seen any fish or inverts bother them.

Acanthophyllia, Scolymia, and Trachyphillia would also be a good choice for many reefer's sand beds. But only if you don't have fish that nip on fleshy LPS corals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fimbryaphillia ancora, the Hammer/Anchor Coral. Torch corals are excellent for movement but aren’t actually all that beginner friendly. My first ever coral was a Hammer and I have no regrets! It will sway in the small amount of flow he gets but when fully extended can be the size of a tennis ball. These are some older photos of mine, and they also come in quite a few different colours, I mean if I ever come across a blue hammer I’d take it, but you also have purple, gold and green colours
19C7DD7B-BBE9-49FC-B9BD-A1F7D9A77240.jpeg
969E3D81-6570-4B09-B37A-5D236A488DAE.jpeg

Another I’ll say is Ricordea Yuma, the Yuma Mushroom. I hate and love mine, it adds so much movement to my 4’ tank and my nano however it grows out of control under the right conditions, I’m hoping I’ve slowed down the growth of mine in the nano but I have Atleast 4 rocks covered in Yuma now. They also come in a range of colours but orange is the most common.
CC5EB96E-68B2-46E1-87F9-511EAE980AAF.jpeg
AA4CEB92-2AA3-4B6D-AE7D-7F6EF344B7B4.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’d have to vote for shrooms:
Colorful
Many forms and growth patterns
Super easy
Very common

My problem:
I can’t keep them alive lol
my response is exactly like yours except i’m voting Zoa’s…. can’t keep them alive so it seems

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers in general. They come in all kinds of shapes and colors, can add movement and are visually dynamic. They take pretty much all of the forms corals take, from branching, to mounding, to plating, to anemone-like. They are hardy, fast growing (well, most are), and don’t require a lot of maintenance or pristine water conditions. They can host clownfish, and are easy to propagate.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back