What is the perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium?

Is there a perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • NO

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 96 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F2EA5D9A-BE41-42F8-B07B-DCDF355DDB6F.jpeg

Any of the above have proved pretty easy - particularly like the Fox Corals
How big was your fox coral when you first got it?
I’d love one but haven’t seen one in a while and when I do they’re rather large already (I prefer to get small frags with one or two heads - Usually prefer two as it’s easier to find a placement for it). Also how long did you have it for?

That Duncan in the top corner is also a beautiful one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fimbryaphillia ancora, the Hammer/Anchor Coral. Torch corals are excellent for movement but aren’t actually all that beginner friendly. My first ever coral was a Hammer and I have no regrets! It will sway in the small amount of flow he gets but when fully extended can be the size of a tennis ball. These are some older photos of mine, and they also come in quite a few different colours, I mean if I ever come across a blue hammer I’d take it, but you also have purple, gold and green colours
19C7DD7B-BBE9-49FC-B9BD-A1F7D9A77240.jpeg
969E3D81-6570-4B09-B37A-5D236A488DAE.jpeg

Another I’ll say is Ricordea Yuma, the Yuma Mushroom. I hate and love mine, it adds so much movement to my 4’ tank and my nano however it grows out of control under the right conditions, I’m hoping I’ve slowed down the growth of mine in the nano but I have Atleast 4 rocks covered in Yuma now. They also come in a range of colours but orange is the most common.
CC5EB96E-68B2-46E1-87F9-511EAE980AAF.jpeg
AA4CEB92-2AA3-4B6D-AE7D-7F6EF344B7B4.jpeg
That reminds me, I got my Hammer as a 2 headed frag, it’s now 3 heads and looks to be getting ready for another split. I recommend LPS for most people as the life that you can find on the skeletons is amazing. here's a photo of the life on my Hammer, I also have a 20+ head Duncan in my 4' tank that is showing some great growth and life on the skeleton.
image.jpg

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to get some push back on this, but I’m going to say Xenias, they are hearty, don’t sting other corals, reasonably non toxic, provide movement, are fish friendly and seemingly fish resistant, are easy to prune when they start over growing. I even have some in my sps tank. As a bonus, tuxedo urchins will sometimes wear them!!!

Attachments

• 2A83F77C-BA07-42E7-B314-0A951F447E5C.jpeg
    2A83F77C-BA07-42E7-B314-0A951F447E5C.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2CACEDD2-4FB9-49CF-8E87-5A274BBC1F80.jpeg
    2CACEDD2-4FB9-49CF-8E87-5A274BBC1F80.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 34

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Flower Anemones for me! Not corals I know but they act like it. Can be put anywhere, aren't aggressive, can clean themselves off and defend themselves. Most importantly, though, come in tons of incredible colors.
https://youtu.be/3tcHScMrXcY

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any answer here would be subjective, so
for me, it's Acropora, not because of some practical criteria, but because it is beautiful (IMO) and because of the satisfaction it gives me when I succeed in growing them happy and healthy.
_DSF2130-Edit copy 2.jpg
I totally agree with this! When I discovered growth in my A. yongei “Purple Slimer” I was so happy!
Here’s the day after it went into my tank
32C22AF9-DC73-4459-9563-5B614ADF1DCE.jpeg

And this is this morning’s photo.
image.jpg

You can really see differences already. Here’s a few to name, it appears to have managed to upright itself and begin to encrust onto the rock it was placed on, all 6 arms have some how moved round the coral with 1 becoming much longer.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was your fox coral when you first got it?
I’d love one but haven’t seen one in a while and when I do they’re rather large already (I prefer to get small frags with one or two heads - Usually prefer two as it’s easier to find a placement for it). Also how long did you have it for?

That Duncan in the top corner is also a beautiful one.
The smalller Fox Coral is actually older than the bigger one so it’s obvious that the bottom left is the ideal location. The bigger one was bought circa six months ago and was about a third of the size. They have become quite rare but my LFS (Living Reef - Dartford, UK) has a large colony that he splits periodically to sell - but it’s become quite an expensive coral now.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me, it's Acropora, not because of some practical criteria, but because it is beautiful (IMO) and because of the satisfaction it gives me when I succeed in growing them happy and healthy.
_DSF2130-Edit copy 2.jpg
_DSF2130-Edit copy 2.jpg
My LFS is constantly trying to get me to keep Acropora but they seem to be more work to keep and I’m happy with the time allocated to keep my reef without the thought of increasing it - I do, however, agree that they are quite beautiful.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My definition of perfect is what looks most like the natural reefs (after all its what many of us are trying to achieve). And for that reason I think nothing screams REEF like plating acros.
I love watching tabling acros grow. It’s just getting your hands on one or growing one out which is the tricky bit.

Back