What is the pH of RO water with zero TDS?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've invested in a Hanna pH meter that apparently requires calibration to perform accurate readings. The 7.0 calibration fluid seems a bit expensive to me.

As I recall from my few chemistry and biology courses, the pH of pure water is 7.0.

Is RO water with zero TDS pure? If so, shouldn't it read 7.0? And if it does, what is the rationale for the calibration fluid over RO Water?

What am I missing?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH of pure water is 7.0, but RODI water may contain some dissolved CO2, apparently some wells contain increased amount of Dissolved CO2.
CO2 presence would cause RODI water to be slightly acidic.
Quality distilled water would also have pH of 7.0
Perhaps using calibration solution is better option.
Maybe Randy would help you better.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've invested in a Hanna pH meter that apparently requires calibration to perform accurate readings. The 7.0 calibration fluid seems a bit expensive to me.

As I recall from my few chemistry and biology courses, the pH of pure water is 7.0.

Is RO water with zero TDS pure? If so, shouldn't it read 7.0? And if it does, what is the rationale for the calibration fluid over RO Water?

What am I missing?
Individual pH packets are about $1

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What am I missing?
Pure water is 7.0 but there maybe dissolved CO2 which can change PH

You should just buy ph packets
$1 for 3 different PH to calibrate
more accurate

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most chemistry topics in this hobby @Randy Holmes-Farley has an article on it. scroll to the end for the PH part

"2. The pH of highly purified water is not accurately measured by test kits, or by pH meters. There are several different reasons for this, including the fact that highly purified water has very little buffering capacity, so its pH is easily changed. Even the acidity or basicity of a pH test kit’s indicator dye is enough to alter pure water’s measured pH. As for PH meters, the probes themselves do not function well in the very low ionic strength of pure freshwater, and trace impurities on them can swing the pH around quite a bit."

mkoenig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO process will lower the ph of the water but to what extent depends on what the ph was before the process. In some areas the RODI process can lower ph water to around 6

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO process will lower the ph of the water but to what extent depends on what the ph was before the process. In some areas the RODI process can lower ph water to around 6

I’m not sure what processes you are suggesting, but I would not generally characterize ro/di as a process that lowers pH, except to the extent that municipal water companies often boost the pH of drinking water above 7 to reduce corrosion, and the ro/di tends to drive pH toward 7.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back