What is the point of an ORP Probe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive decided to stick with my ghl but haven't had time to set up my khd and install latest updates and things, so ive had some bad news today and looking at some retail therapy to cheer me up a bit, so ive got the P4e as I didn't want a salinity probe (useless things anyway) or an ORP Probe.
Ive been looking at getting an ORP Probe as part of my 'therapy' but is it worth it?, what is its point?, and what do I do with the information it provides? FYI I have no intention of using ozone, which is about the only thing I know ORP is used for, its purely for 'therapy' as im sure the ladies will understand.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it as an alarm. If its dropping or drops from normal variable readings it can indicate that something died in your tank.
Worth it if you have it imo.
I agree....I glance at the reading everyday. With a new tank, it gradually increases. Once it levels off, if it suddenly starts to drop, it can be a warning that something isn't right. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but as long as I have it, it is worth using.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my ORP about 2 days after I had a pretty bad die off. Reading was low 200s. My 3 weeks later I was in the high 300s! Readings flow between day and night between 360 and 370. I like how predictable it is! I haven't had anything die (knock on wood!!!) In the 4 months I've been watching, but assume that would be a great trigger!

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 190. Mine never goes to 300s. Always 250 but recently adding fluconazole and trying to kill bryopsis. It's now 190 and stays there. Not sure if related but I never have 300+. I calibrated like 7 times too

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP’s. Back in the day, people would use ozone reactors to raise a tanks ORP. You controlled the dosing with an ORP controller. In my opinion, what that accomplished was questionable at best. I have one that came with my ProfiLux, that I never bothered hooking up. When I moved my tank, I found it and decided to give it a try. Much to my surprise, my tank is in the high 300’s.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run O3 & a UV sterilizer. My O3 generator is set to turn on at 380mV and off at 420mV. My tank runs 430-450mV without the O3 supplementation. This is due to the UV. However, as the lamp in the UV degrades (over time) or the quartz sleeve gets dirty, the ORP will drop and the O3 kicks in. At this point I know its either time to clean the sleeve, change the lamp, or both. So in my case, I find the ORP a valuable tool.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's put a dampener on my therapy :(
My comment was a little flippant. I understand the value in an ORP probe does not depend on the actual reading but rather on any significant changes in ORP so more of a relative measure. Randy Holmes-Farley did a great article on this years ago.

jamey1010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Deltec sulphur reactor has a built in port for an ORP probe to help keep the drip rate correct and one nice feature is GHL has no problem with negative readings unlike Apex where it may still need the wires switched on the probe.

Screenshot_2020-03-22-20-30-57-035_com.aquariumcomputer.GHLConnect.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back