What is the power consumption of your system?

Greystoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High electric bill.jpg

I am looking to get back into the hobby after a long hiatus and wondering what to anticipate in the way of a power bill. I am thinking about a tank in the 250-300 gallon range with the sump volume included, but I would like to know consumption for multiple sized systems. My bill is already 350.00+ in the summer, I'm not too excited about turning an already high bill into a Lamborghini payment.

Are the newer led lights and other gear more efficient these days?

Since the price (and currency) per KWH varies greatly by area/country, a dollar amount probably isn't terribly helpful but since most people may not know their KWH, it's better than nothing. Maybe the bill increase pre and post tank installation.

For those that have a way to specifically track KWH used, what is your KWH used in a month?

For a general idea of the amount and type of gear being powered please include the total system water volume and if it is a reef tank or FOWLR.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High electric bill.jpg

I am looking to get back into the hobby after a long hiatus and wondering what to anticipate in the way of a power bill. I am thinking about a tank in the 250-300 gallon range with the sump volume included, but I would like to know consumption for multiple sized systems. My bill is already 350.00+ in the summer, I'm not too excited about turning an already high bill into a Lamborghini payment.

Are the newer led lights and other gear more efficient these days?

Since the price (and currency) per KWH varies greatly by area/country, a dollar amount probably isn't terribly helpful but since most people may not know their KWH, it's better than nothing. Maybe the bill increase pre and post tank installation.

For those that have a way to specifically track KWH used, what is your KWH used in a month?

For a general idea of the amount and type of gear being powered please include the total system water volume and if it is a reef tank or FOWLR.
The heater, pump, powerheads and lights are your big power draw. Could you look up the wattage for these devices for your future system?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back