What is the recommended daily dose of distilled vinager?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you personally recommend? I've read every dino thread. So far I've tried:

3 & 5 day blackout (including Vette's method)
NO3 dosing
silicate dosing
manual removal
reduced lighting
bacterial dosing
UV sterilization

The nightly carbon dosing is a last resort for me before resorting to algaecide, as the dinos have killed all but a few zoa colonies, which I have to blow clean several times a day to keep alive.
Have you got a pic? Dinoflagellates don’t usually smother corals are you sure it’s not Cyanobacteria?

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a pic? Dinoflagellates don’t usually smother corals are you sure it’s not Cyanobacteria?
Idk where you heard that, but it's definitely not true. And yes I know the difference.
20221202_154214.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk where you heard that, but it's definitely not true. And yes I know the difference.
20221202_154214.jpg
Can I have another picture showing it on the rocks? And possibly in the corals. At first looks it seems more of a consistency of calothrix or chrysophytes.
How old is your system, the sand bed looks fairly new.

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh.
AFR is a carbon dose
WA is a carbon dose
Vinegar is a carbon dose
(Dunno about MB Clean).
Not that this is a bad combo, just struck me as funny.
Just be careful with the night time dosage, watch O2 or ensure aeration.
Looking at the instructions it seems that mb clean may also have organic carbon. The blend of so many organic carbon products may be the route cause of the issue.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have another picture showing it on the rocks? And possibly in the corals. At first looks it seems more of a consistency of calothrix or chrysophytes.
How old is your system, the sand bed looks fairly new.
I've identified them under a microscope as dinos.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you personally recommend? I've read every dino thread. So far I've tried:

3 & 5 day blackout (including Vette's method)
NO3 dosing
silicate dosing
manual removal
reduced lighting
bacterial dosing
UV sterilization
Given your situation and gauging your current level of frustration, I'd recommend you look up
Elegant Corals method for cyano and dinos.

It's built around flooding the system with a heavy carbon dose that basically causes all surfaces to become temporarily dominated by heterotrophs and the photosynthetic cyano/dinos get displaced/ squeezed out/covered etc. It's using things you already have and going a route you were already planning.
It's dramatic and guaranteed to really shake up the system. The nuisance will probably still reappear but likely at a much lower level. It has obvious risk of O2 depletion, so be careful with aeration.

Long thread: first post may be all you need to execute the protocol.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/analyzing-a-bacterial-method-for-dinoflagellates-and-cyano.635165/

and here's @Reef and Dive thread on this method.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...earned-over-the-years-to-deal-with-it.869401/
post in that thread and tag him, he's helped people with that method a lot.

again, given your level of frustration with more conservative approaches, I think this might make sense for you.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given your situation and gauging your current level of frustration, I'd recommend you look up
Elegant Corals method for cyano and dinos.

It's built around flooding the system with a heavy carbon dose that basically causes all surfaces to become temporarily dominated by heterotrophs and the photosynthetic cyano/dinos get displaced/ squeezed out/covered etc. It's using things you already have and going a route you were already planning.
It's dramatic and guaranteed to really shake up the system. The nuisance will probably still reappear but likely at a much lower level. It has obvious risk of O2 depletion, so be careful with aeration.

Long thread: first post may be all you need to execute the protocol.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/analyzing-a-bacterial-method-for-dinoflagellates-and-cyano.635165/

and here's @Reef and Dive thread on this method.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...earned-over-the-years-to-deal-with-it.869401/
post in that thread and tag him, he's helped people with that method a lot.

again, given your level of frustration with more conservative approaches, I think this might make sense for you.
This entire thread was created with the sole purpose of asking how much vinegar to dose in place of vodka, as a carbon source, for the elegant corals method.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method doesn't mention vinegar (unless I missed it) but I'd imagine you can substitute the vodka values (taking into consideration the ph effects of vinegar). Carbon is carbon but idk what effect vodka has opposed to vinegar which is acidic... but it's @taricha 's thread ;)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread was created with the sole purpose of asking how much vinegar to dose in place of vodka, as a carbon source, for the elegant corals method.
The answer to that should be 8x as much vodka.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ok I was way off. Just curious; the method you're following doesn't mention the vinegar dose? That post is very long, haven't had a chance to read it all yet.. Maybe it's in one of the posts?
It says that using Red Sea NOPOX to his dosage resulted in recession in Dinos.

I posted his DIY mix which worked for a few people in this thread. It primarily uses vodka and sugar.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to that should be 8x as much vodka.
Lol. I never would have guessed dosing 60mL of anything in a 30g system would be the correct answer. I see now why people complain about the "amount of vinegar" needed to carbon dose. Thanks.

I think I'm just going to pick up a bottle of vodka and follow the elegant corals schedule at 5mL/15gal and try to out compete them for Co2. If all else fails, I have a bottle of Dino-X I picked up as a last ditch effort.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm just going to pick up a bottle of vodka and follow the elegant corals schedule at 5mL/15gal and try to out compete them for Co2. If all else fails, I have a bottle of Dino-X I picked up as a last ditch effort.

Out compete for CO2? That’s definitely not the mechanism when carbon dosing. I hope that isn’t the mechanism proposed in that thread.

It may be the mechanism when driving up the pH with hydroxide/kalkwasser. I have an article on that.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out compete for CO2? That’s definitely not the mechanism when carbon dosing. I hope that isn’t the mechanism proposed in that thread.

It may be the mechanism when driving up the pH with hydroxide/kalkwasser. I have an article on that.
If I'm understanding it correctly according to his interview video with ReefDudes, it is. They recommend priming the system with CO2 scrubbed air, or air from outside pumped in and diffused through a wooden airstone, then inducing a controlled bacterial bloom of nitrifying bacteria. This supposedly stops the dinos from being able to photosynthesize due to the limited CO2.

elegantCoralsDino.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I never would have guessed dosing 60mL of anything in a 30g system would be the correct answer. I see now why people complain about the "amount of vinegar" needed to carbon dose. Thanks.

Post in thread 'Vodka dosing'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vodka-dosing.314519/post-3876050

We’re did you got 60ml from @Miami Reef was referring to the table in the thread above, for vinegar you add 8x the recommendation of vodka in the graph shared above

for your system would be around 0.8ml for week 1

And if you going to dose 10ml of vodka on your 30g system I hope you don’t have any livestock in it as you are going to kill everything that is in that tank.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who would recommend dosing 7.5mL of vodka in a 30gal system? That seems excessive.

I only said vodka is 8x more potent that vinegar.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would recommend dosing 7.5mL of vodka in a 30gal system? That seems excessive.

I only said vodka is 8x more potent that vinegar.
I misspoke, they are actually recommending 10mL of vodka per 30gals of water volume daily according to the elegant corals method I just posted above.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misspoke, they are actually recommending 10mL of vodka per 30gals of water volume daily according to the elegant corals method I just posted above.
Oh geez.

I never tried that method. Whatever you decide, keep us updated! :)

Back