What is the smallest fish that can graze on algea that is not a tang?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a small 20 gallon reef tank and I would like to have a fish that can graze on algea to prevent an algea outbreak. I can get a baby yellow tang or other baby tangs but eventually the tang would grow too big for a 20 gallon tank. Is there a small fish that is an alternative to a tang or do I just have to get baby tangs and move it out when they become too big?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a small 20 gallon reef tank and I would like to have a fish that can graze on algea to prevent an algea outbreak. I can get a baby yellow tang or other baby tangs but eventually the tang would grow too big for a 20 gallon tank. Is there a small fish that is an alternative to a tang or do I just have to get baby tangs and move it out when they become too big?
Tailspot blenny. I might be blanking on other fish right now but they like to nibble on algae and they stay small. Other algae eating blennies get too large for a 30 imo

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot blenny. Bicolors also consume lots of algae, but some individuals are known to nip at LPS and SPS coral.

Ocadenas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flaming angel he was the show piece of my 30 gal tank and kept my rock in check for algae. Sadly when he passed I notice right away algae breaking on my rock so I'll said for sure they'll do a great job

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies. I’ve had good luck converting black sailfish mollies to saltwater. They graze on hair algae and other types.
If you can manage to acclimate a couple of mollies to saltwate then you are golden.
My bicolor blenny used to graze on algae but only around his hidey hole.
U can also opt to get a couple of trochus snails and get a fish for its looks

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with tailspot. :)

DSC_0009.JPG

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimaculatus and Linear Blenny are other options. Stay even smaller than tailspot.

Court Jesters actually don’t eat algae directly, but hunt pods and microfauna on rocks and in sand and might accidentally consume algae while hunting.

Skullring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot blennie is perfect for a small tank. If you let the algae grow on your glass for a few days you will see thousands of little blennie lip prints on the glass. A little bumblebee snail is also great for getting in all the little cracks and crevices of the rock work. He will disappear for a long time but always reappears. The hermit crabs don’t mess with him either for some reason.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back