What is the Smartest Thing Your Fish Has Done

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a naoko that would jump into my refugium box and sleep there at night. Then jump out the next morning.

Also cleaner wrasse apparently are one of only 12 animals that can recognize themselves in a mirror so some think they are actually smart.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like fish can be smart creatures at times, so I am wondering what is something that has made you think "wow my fish is really smart".
My previous blue tang was playing dead when a relative's child was using a magnet to move sand. I imagined that it died but it was alive!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny you day that i have a valentini (in the photo) and he was a smart joker he interacts all the time
Valentinis seem to both understand they're in captivity and thrive in it. They seem to take the "this is great this dude just feeds me and I do whatever the hell I want all day" mentality. Super bright and interactive.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angelfish used to play around with snails and shells. Swim up to the power head and drop the snail or shell where the current was, so it would fly across the other side of the tank and the angelfish would find it and repeat over and over again. Not sure if it was smart but it knew how to entertain itself. It also new my hand and it would come up to it and kinda snuggle while my hand was in the tank. Not scared of the hand coming in at all but knew exactly what the fish net was lol.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trusted me for reef keeping.
:smiling-face-with-halo:

Profession vs. love of life?
Not frame-working one or an other.
I always wonder what fish think when they see us, maybe has the one that feeds them? maybe this random figure that walks by the tank a lot. Who knows

mimiminite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine betta (grouper) and she can recognize particular people. Not just for food. She likes coming out and watching us, but only people she knows. She can tell apart my wife and her mother, who look similar, which I found impressive.

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Vlamingi tang. Whenever my husband entered the room, it would come to the side where I kept the computer and hide from him. One day he asked me if it ever comes out, I said sure! All the time! He had to peek out over the window that separated the tank room from the dining room, and wait to see it. That fish loved me, would follow me to the rest of the house if it could. I do currently have a Tenneti tang, that likes to entertain itself blowing bubbles, and playing snail hockey with itself, grabbing a snail, spitting it across the tank, and repeating several times.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back