What is the therapeutic copper level for Coppersafe?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle of Coppersafe just tells you how much to add but it does not say what the therapeutic of copper is.

Does anyone know what the therapeutic copper level should be at when using Coppersafe?

I will be using Hanna high range copper colorimeter to do the test.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's a minimum of 2.0 ppm but less than 2.25 ppm for 30 days. I've also seen 1.75 as acceptable also but 2.0 for sure. Test often and be sure to not let it go below or the clock starts over.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not drop below 1.5 (therapeutic minimum) for CopperSafe with a Hanna Checker, do not go over 2.0. I always tried to hover at 1.75, and have used CopperSafe many, many times with several types of fish. Best wishes.

PS: Unless you have a Marine Velvet emergency, I’d ramp up over 2-3 days.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not drop below 1.5 (therapeutic minimum) for CopperSafe with a Hanna Checker, do not go over 2.0. I always tried to hover at 1.75, and have used CopperSafe many, many times with several types of fish. Best wishes.

This is not for treatment. I am quarantining my powder blue tang. My PBT is healthy and eating well but I just want to do prophylactic treatment for 14 days to not introduce any disease to my display tank with several nice established fish.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummmm. I have heard of prophylactic treatments using API General Cure and other meds, but if you’re going after Ich, I’m not sure sub-therapeutic Copper accomplishes what you are shooting for. Let’s see what others think.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If you're not going to go through the entire treatment at the correct levels then why put them through the treatment at all? Copper is a poison. It's not completely effective unless followed through to the end and you'd end up having to do it over again on an already stressed fish. Maybe just observe for 14 days or so and treat if needed instead? You could treat with less stressful Pazipro or what not for internal issues that can't be seen until it's too late during that time. Why build a concrete and steel bridge with wooden planks for the last 10 feet?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the manufacture the therapeutic level should be 2.0.
with chelated copper I always shoot for 2.5 and most fish tend to handle it without a problem.
7B376C0A-122A-4B26-B39B-3D4362A6E36A.png

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Fish (Humblefish) said in a Feb. 24, 2018 post:

“Dosing 2mL/gal will put you right where you need to be (almost 2.0 ppm, but not quite). Therapeutic range for coppersafe is 1.5 to 2.0 ppm.”

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure sub-therapeutic Copper accomplishes what you are shooting for. Let’s see what others think.

It's not completely effective unless followed through to the end

I thought Humblefish had a routine to treat ich that involved a transfer to a sterile tank after 14 days in copper? Followed by 14 days observation. I’ve been using this prophylactically as well, but am now wondering if it’s a waste of my time and causing more harm than good.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 14 day Tank Transfer Method (TTM) is something entirely different (but very effective). Humblefish’s thread, “How to Quarantine” (Jan. 27, 2015, #1) specifically mentions different forms of Copper and says, “The above prophylactically treats most parasites if held at a therapeutic concentration for 30 days. Therefore, it is important to test your copper level frequently. If the copper level drops below therapeutic… even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts after you’ve raised it back up.” [Therapeutic and 30 days are in bold.] Hope this helps.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can treat with copper for 14 days and then transfer to new sterile tank after as long as the copper level was at the full therapeutic level for the whole duration of the 14 days.
30 days of copper only if you do not have a second qt to transfer them out of after 14 days.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is OK to put my powder blue tang in Coppersafe water for 14 days with copper level between 1.5-2.0 ppm even if my PBT is perfectly healthy?

I will transfer the fish to a new quarantine tank without any med after 14 days of copper.

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what about with a seachem test kit? The bottle of cupramine says most fish can handle levels of 0.5 but never to go above 0.8.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back