What is the Trick to Get SPS Polyp Extension During the Day?

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be able to feed SPS and LPS during the day. My tank is in my office so I am not there at night. I see many pictures of PE during the day. What is the trick?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed regularly during the day and unless you have something that picks on them, they'll start opening up at your feeding time. I randomly feed day and night, so I have pretty continuous polyp extension.

Corals are creatures of habit, so just get them on a cycle.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed regularly during the day and unless you have something that picks on them, they'll start opening up at your feeding time. I randomly feed day and night, so I have pretty continuous polyp extension.

Corals are creatures of habit, so just get them on a cycle.
So just try to target feed even when they are not open and eventually they will learn to stay open longer?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just try to target feed even when they are not open and eventually they will learn to stay open longer?
Yeah, start with very light feeding (like just a few food particles) until they start putting out feeders then give a standard feeding. A couple weeks and they should be on your schedule.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild, corals naturally keep their polyps in during the day to avoid predation. In captivity, corals typically learn that it's safe to extend polyps during the day and usually do so after they become used to their new environment. All you can really do is provide good water quality and wait.

It's worth noting that in almost all circumstances, corals in captivity do not need supplemental feeding to survive. Supplemental feedings may optimize health and growth, but they are certainly not required.

mpsteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use filter socks and stuff like that. You want all those unwanted particals flowing in the water. Corals love that stuff. I don’t run a skimmer or any mechanical filtration for that matter. Locals always say I have the best polyp ext they have seen besides pictures online

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only corals that are hungry will risk PE to feed. The most common use is for gas exchange, which is at night.

You can/will do more harm than good chasing PE. Look to growth and color for better indications of health... but also notice if a traditionally hairy coral (Millepora, some of the Tenius, etc), have stopped having PE because that can be a warning sign.

If you are looking at TOTM or vendor type of photos, they will use boxes with stationary water, or turn off all of their pumps when taking photographs. Less water movement means more PE for gas exchange.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question to all of you who have seen good PE during the day. Does nightly water flow versus daily water flow differ?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pics I just took of a couple frags in my frag tank.

AE3C0D57-551B-4F64-9B80-2C207DF5C05E.jpeg

87CDFE16-C112-433D-BF66-876A1AF3EFAB.jpeg

A8D8BBDF-423F-4036-BCB6-672B83E89A46.jpeg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to all of you who have seen good PE during the day. Does nightly water flow versus daily water flow differ?
I'm running 2x gyre 250s that are programmed on the oceanic gyre mode which is random but intensities mimic tidal changes in intensity. So, my flow is variable throughout the day, but there is no real reduction in intensity. I attribute my PE to the fact that my auto feeder broadcast feeds oyster feast and R.O.E several times throughout the day and night.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would your water flow rate change, or better yet, why would you need or want it to change?
Flow rates will change from clogs, such as the filter pad in the sump.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have chased PE before and i found that it is a waste of time, in the long run I have achieved it with just better water conditions, lighting schedule, and husbandry.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No change in flow here. I use the same random flow settings 24/7. The only time the polyps are not extended is when I blow algae or debris off the corals, or when inverts are bothering them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do slow my pumps down at night. The wave box keeps going, but I just use the light sensor on the Tunze controller to sense when the sun is not out and it slows the pumps down. I do not know if the coral care, but the fish seem more healthy and less skinny if they can relax at night with less to blow them around - the sea is calmer at night... not that this matters at all in captivity.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the higher flow, the better the PE. I also do not change my flow rates day vs night. That does not happen in the ocean. IMO unless you have a nipping fish, you should be seeing PE during the day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back