What is the Trick to Get SPS Polyp Extension During the Day?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't getting much PE during the day until I adjusted flow. I went for turbulent but found it wasn't enough. So, I programmed my pumps to alternate every hour and then switch to wave mode for an hour twice a day then run a different schedule at night to reduce flow by 15%. Sps PE is 24/7 now and even more at night.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a problem with mild to no polyp extension on my acros for 4 months and I couldn’t figure it out. 2 days ago I decided to crank up the wave action on my Vortech and in just 48 hours the sticks are awake and their coloring is even better. Seriously I have a couple Oregon torts that had zero PE for 4 months and in just 2 days the polyps are out. I thought I had plenty of flow before but I doubled the intensity setting of the wave and boom.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just had a quick question, how long after you put Acropora in your tank should you expect polyp extension to occur?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a problem with mild to no polyp extension on my acros for 4 months and I couldn’t figure it out. 2 days ago I decided to crank up the wave action on my Vortech and in just 48 hours the sticks are awake and their coloring is even better. Seriously I have a couple Oregon torts that had zero PE for 4 months and in just 2 days the polyps are out. I thought I had plenty of flow before but I doubled the intensity setting of the wave and boom.
Hahaha…..Oh boy I didn’t know anything back then. Pretty sure all those corals were dead by March. Different story now though.
319FB3F7-9D56-4D71-A654-3383AF7F5ECA.jpeg
9B38842E-0FBF-4EB5-B419-28954FCDEFF9.jpeg
8EBE4DD8-A54C-4F24-BAA5-157932AB92C9.jpeg
FCD8423B-5300-46CB-8EED-BE64F82B31F7.jpeg
D6B15847-4F17-467C-9880-6B79667BC885.jpeg
847F950F-BEA2-493C-9102-655B9EB18EEE.jpeg
5C5370AC-C9CE-40C8-B254-90FD14D44450.jpeg
8BC1294F-4CBB-4FEA-BCCB-2BD1FBA5FB94.jpeg
A52F4781-C780-4423-9ED0-4B039C754DBF.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ... don't leave us hangin', what did you change between back then and now?
I basically stopped trying so hard. Oh…. and I bought a par meter. So assuming your source water is perfect and there is no contamination going on…300-500 par, skimmer and chaeto, and medium flow makes to polyps happy and extended. Stop worrying about elevated n/p. Carbon dosing, gfo, vibrant, etc irritates them.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically stopped trying so hard. Oh…. and I bought a par meter. So assuming your source water is perfect and there is no contamination going on…300-500 par, skimmer and chaeto, and medium flow makes to polyps happy and extended. Stop worrying about elevated n/p. Carbon dosing, gfo, vibrant, etc irritates them.
I've found this as well. If I ignore phosphates, my tank looks the best even if they get to .2 or .3ppm. The minute I add some GFO or carbon, I get some burnt tips, unhappy SPS, etc. Even if I add 1/4 the recommended dosage. I'm conflicted because you always hear high phosphates are such a negative for SPS, I've yet to see such claims.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found this as well. If I ignore phosphates, my tank looks the best even if they get to .2 or .3ppm. The minute I add some GFO or carbon, I get some burnt tips, unhappy SPS, etc. Even if I add 1/4 the recommended dosage. I'm conflicted because you always hear high phosphates are such a negative for SPS, I've yet to see such claims.
I forgot to mention the corals need to be pests free as well. I have another tank with less valuable acropora and montiporas. I’ve experimented with different nutrient reducers. Gfo, phosgard, nopox, tm bactobalance, vibrant etc. Every time I tried any of those products the corals had a stress response. Minimal to zero Pe followed by a dried up brown look. Even though the n/p was still above 25/0.25.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just try to target feed even when they are not open and eventually they will learn to stay open longer?
First off have you checked your Nutrients? Nitrates and phosphates ? If to low you are starving your corals.
Edit: sorry just realized this is old thread

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Real easy- a couple tricks-

Turn your flow off - if you notice lots of people turn their flow off for pics, helps PE 100%
Eliminate all walking critters- no snails or hermits
Eliminate all fish-yes acros sense when fish swim by
Spike your PH- PE will be out of control on a PH spike during the day.

Honestly- daytime PE is over-rated and i wouldnt chase parameters for daytime PE. Too much Daytime PE can hurt encrustation especially on furry tenuis because the light can't get to the base. If you have overnight PE your tank is 100% healthy.

Okay daytime PE guys- challenge me on this.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real easy- a couple tricks-

Turn your flow off - if you notice lots of people turn their flow off for pics, helps PE 100%
Eliminate all walking critters- no snails or hermits
Eliminate all fish-yes acros sense when fish swim by
Spike your PH- PE will be out of control on a PH spike during the day.

Honestly- daytime PE is over-rated and i wouldnt chase parameters for daytime PE. Too much Daytime PE can hurt encrustation especially on furry tenuis because the light can't get to the base. If you have overnight PE your tank is 100% healthy.

Okay daytime PE guys- challenge me on this.
I have many snails and probably 50 Hawaiian zebra hermit crabs and don’t turn my flow off for my PE pics. I have zero Angel fish/nippers though

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an issue running GFO.....

Well let me rephrase that. I used to have an issue with it when I ran it in a reactor on it's own. I would get the same issues @Charlie's frags(no idea why that doesn't work?). Since I switched to using just a small amount mixed in with my carbon in a reactor to maintain around .1 phosphate occasionally(not continuous use, and for my 85G tank I use about 2 tablespoons when phosphates creep up to .2 to bring it back down to the low .1's), and no longer have those problems.

I don't think GFO in of itself is bad for the corals, it's just most people don't know how to use it properly, or overuse it.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2x gyre 250s that are programmed on the oceanic gyre mode which is random but intensities mimic tidal changes in intensity. So, my flow is variable throughout the day, but there is no real reduction in intensity. I attribute my PE to the fact that my auto feeder broadcast feeds oyster feast and R.O.E several times throughout the day and night.
How do you do this auto feed for oyster feast?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of flow. Most of my sps has good polyp extension during the day. The acros in areas i cant get direct flow to hardly have any PE but still do well

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use filter socks and stuff like that. You want all those unwanted particals flowing in the water. Corals love that stuff. I don’t run a skimmer or any mechanical filtration for that matter. Locals always say I have the best polyp ext they have seen besides pictures online
What is your Nitrates and phosphates

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I randomly dose oyster feast and freshly hatched baby brine throughout the day and then try to dose reef chili at lights on. Also keeping any nipping fish to a minimum.

Gotta train them to open in the day. Typically acropora and similar put put their feeders at night or they'd get eaten during the day.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I randomly dose oyster feast and freshly hatched baby brine throughout the day and then try to dose reef chili at lights on. Also keeping any nipping fish to a minimum.

Gotta train them to open in the day. Typically acropora and similar put put their feeders at night or they'd get eaten during the day.
I’m getting zero doing the day and occasionally some very small PE on one or two acros at night.

all still have color none are dead just not a bright as the tank I got them from

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back