What is the weirdest/unique thing in your tank?

Spaceshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious about what is the strangest thing in your tank and provide pictures if possible

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is, and we don't even know what it is! We think it's a sponge, but several marine biologists have been unable to say for sure. I collected it in the Florida Keys and it's been in my tank for over a year now.

This is the 'normal look:
20180811_143001.jpg

And this it it giving off babies:
20180815_121940.jpg

I didn't get any of the babies to survive. :(

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never moves. I found it on the bottom in 3' of water where the bottom was literally covered with coral and sponges.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen it for a while, but I did have a Bonellia viridis worm in my tank. It is kinda like a peanut worm, but the ”trunk” is forked and it could stretch out about 10” or so.
4A773750-6C20-403E-B12C-1CB1BD182FE7.png
D6F980F5-5574-4C9D-9872-CEC594FE8B56.png

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anti-siphon setup. It's my own design that doesn't rely on check valves or for the water level to drop to a certain level before it stops the siphon. It stops the siphon immediately on pump shut down.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anti-siphon setup. It's my own design that doesn't rely on check valves or for the water level to drop to a certain level before it stops the siphon. It stops the siphon immediately on pump shut down.
Care to to share in a separate thread? Could be beneficial to many other reefers

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to to share in a separate thread? Could be beneficial to many other reefers
Good idea.

I described it a long time ago in this thread but I don't think I quite got the point across and there wasn't much reaction to it.

But I have to tear the tank down in a couple weeks to move so I'll get some better pics and start a new thread and post the link back in here.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea.

I described it a long time ago in this thread but I don't think I quite got the point across and there wasn't much reaction to it.

But I have to tear the tank down in a couple weeks to move so I'll get some better pics and start a new thread and post the link back in here.
Ok cool! Let me know when you start it!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INTERESTING! Maybe a new species? @Ron Reefman

I haven't found anybody interested enough to get serious about it. One biologist was willing to take it and cut it open in order to try and figure out what it is. But I'm not giving up the one example I have. If it ever gives off more kids and I can get a few to survive, then I'd do it. But the marine biologists I deal with are into mollusks, anemones and fish... nobody seemed to know anybody who studied sponges.

Thanks for offering more info. I'm in the process of building a DIY 90g tank (36"x30"x20") and I'm doing a number of unusual design elements and I'm interested in your anti-siphon idea.

I've done an overflow with holes rather than teeth and I'm doing a very unique rockscape built on an egg crate stair step platform. It's in my 90g build thread linked below in my signature.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found anybody interested enough to get serious about it. One biologist was willing to take it and cut it open in order to try and figure out what it is. But I'm not giving up the one example I have. If it ever gives off more kids and I can get a few to survive, then I'd do it. But the marine biologists I deal with are into mollusks, anemones and fish... nobody seemed to know anybody who studied sponges.

Thanks for offering more info. I'm in the process of building a DIY 90g tank (36"x30"x20") and I'm doing a number of unusual design elements and I'm interested in your anti-siphon idea.

I've done an overflow with holes rather than teeth and I'm doing a very unique rockscape built on an egg crate stair step platform. It's in my 90g build thread linked below in my signature.
Yeah I would offer the only specimen as well lol

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a funny question, I think in my tank the weirdest thing is my pair of diamond gobies moving sand around nonstop driving me crazy, nothing can be put on sandbed :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back