What is this algae and how do I get rid of it?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I have some new algae growing in my tank. I originally had a Red Cyano issue and treated with ChemiClean. Shortly after that (couple weeks), this green algae appeared. it is short, and rather turf like.

Any suggestions on how to remove it (Assuming I fix whatever is putting nutrients into the tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I have some new algae growing in my tank. I originally had a Red Cyano issue and treated with ChemiClean. Shortly after that (couple weeks), this green algae appeared. it is short, and rather turf like.

Any suggestions on how to remove it (Assuming I fix whatever is putting nutrients into the tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
We’ll likely need a photo under white lights to ID the nuisance alga.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated photo..I just realized I forgot to include the photo..sorry about that! in my original post.
IMG_2833.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated photo..I just realized I forgot to include the photo..sorry about that! in my original post.
IMG_2833.jpg
Looks like hair algae of sorts

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this algae doesn't seem to get any taller. It is relatively short in height and rather brittle. Obviously I have a nutrient problem which I will address starting with water changes, and checking my top off water,e tc to fix where the import is coming from.

So this seems to have happened after I was able to get rid of some Cyano using Chemiclean, This started to appear a couple weeks later. Not sure if that is related. So other than water changes, what is the best way to get rid of it? This is my first battle with algae (other than cyano) in the 2 years my tank has been established. Should I use GFO to assist with nutrient reduction etc?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this algae doesn't seem to get any taller. It is relatively short in height and rather brittle. Obviously I have a nutrient problem which I will address starting with water changes, and checking my top off water,e tc to fix where the import is coming from.

So this seems to have happened after I was able to get rid of some Cyano using Chemiclean, This started to appear a couple weeks later. Not sure if that is related. So other than water changes, what is the best way to get rid of it? This is my first battle with algae (other than cyano) in the 2 years my tank has been established. Should I use GFO to assist with nutrient reduction etc?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Anything in your system that should be eating this stuff?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific clean up crew that might actually eat this stuff pictured above?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific clean up crew that might actually eat this stuff pictured above?
Most CUC will not eat alga that has grown too long. Sometimes hermits. I like the small blue leg or red leg species.
Urchins are good for tougher turf like algae.
Do you have a plague of it? Tooth brush and siphon might get it done and give snails/hermits a edge in keeping it under control.

Should I use GFO to assist with nutrient reduction etc?
Do you know your PO4 level? Remember that algae and coral need the same things to live and thrive. Limiting nutrients has never helped with nuisance algae In my experience.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most CUC will not eat alga that has grown too long. Sometimes hermits. I like the small blue leg or red leg species.
Urchins are good for tougher turf like algae.
Do you have a plague of it? Tooth brush and siphon might get it done and give snails/hermits a edge in keeping it under control.

Do you know your PO4 level? Remember that algae and coral need the same things to live and thrive. Limiting nutrients has never helped with nuisance algae In my experience.
So I have again checked my Phosphate and Nitrates (using Hanna kits) and both read zero. This has been the case for a very long time. I do need to increase my feeding to get phosphate up to .03 Obviously algae will pull nutrients out of the water column. I have attached a new picture of the algae in my tank. I was able to grab it and rip it off the rock. It is about 1/2" in height and grows horizontally. It doesnt seem to get any taller than 1/2"

Again looking for steps to get rid of this stuff. I will be doing a 30% water change today, and manually removing some of it.

Also, going to add Chemipure Elite.

Should I be shutting the lights off for a couple days? Do I actually need to increase my Nitrate and Phosphate levels?
IMG_2966 (1).jpg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, going to add Chemipure Elite.

Should I be shutting the lights off for a couple days? Do I actually need to increase my Nitrate and Phosphate levels?
I think the Elite has GFO. So be careful since your numbers are already 0.
What lights do you have? How many hrs do you run them?
What does your CUC consist of?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Elite has GFO. So be careful since your numbers are already 0.
What lights do you have? How many hrs do you run them?
What does your CUC consist of?
I have Aquatic Life T5 fixture running Blue actinics which supplements by 2 Kessil A360X lights. Been running this setup since I started the tank 2yrs ago. The T5's are about 5 months old since I replaced the bulbs. This is a mixed reef 90gl and my SPS are growing very well. I took a glance at the tank and I think my CUC needs to be updated. I have about 6-8 Turbo/Astrea Snails in the tank along with a Sea Cucumber.

Any suggestions what CUC might eat this algae?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once I have corrected the cause of the algae outbreak to stop the growth, what is the best way to get rid of what already exists other than manual pulling what I can? Will it die back?. Will other forms of algae out compete it?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once I have corrected the cause of the algae outbreak to stop the growth, what is the best way to get rid of what already exists other than manual pulling what I can? Will it die back?. Will other forms of algae out compete it?
I am sure somebody might have an answer to this question. I would just keep pulling it out.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6-8 Turbo/Astrea Snails in the tank along with a Sea Cucumber.

Any suggestions what CUC might eat this algae?
Add a few Red or blue leg hermits and more snails.
. Will other forms of algae out compete it?
Sure, that’s why people install algae scrubbers.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I battle GHA in my nano it is nano-not fun. I pull rocks out and scrub them or scrape with an old knife. Then I treat the areas that had it with peroxide.

I tried to dose with chemicals and over time that created some kind of other major problem with the tank. I ended up having do an entire rip clean of my tank to save the corals cause everything was dying by that point.

GHA is probably the worst thing I have encountered yet in my limited amount of time with the hobby. I just remove it a little bit as it grows.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back