What is this and how do I get rid of it po4 is 0 no3 is 2.5

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It in the sand to tanks 4 months old started it form water out of a old salt water tank
1522793362540.jpg
1522793338795.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like dino's. Zero PO4 would definitely suggest dino's. Age of tank in combo with those also suggests dino's.

I think I saw you post in the big Dino sticky thread, so you may have read through it already....but if not, read through the first post. Try out the tests listed there – ID your dino's via microscope if you can (details available, scopes are cheap).

And get your PO4 up ASAP....the longer that goes on, the more established the dino bloom will get.

How is your CUC doing?

Last: Run some activated carbon.....I recommend 1/4 dose changed weekly. Dino's are toxic to everything, including humans, so better safe than sorry here.

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed what mcarroll said. My tank had cyano and dino cover all the sand bed and rock. Then I overfeed in few days to raise both nitrate and phosphate up. You need to syphon those out everyday, clean up your sock filter, add more flow into the algea area couple days. It worked for me. Remember you don't want to keep your nitrate abd phosphate at 0, your coral need nutrient and you need other algea grow to out compete dino and cyano. Your tank still too young for keeping those nutrient low

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean-Up Crew ;)

Common members:
You
Snails
Hermit crabs
Fish
Urchins

#1 on the list is the most important – it's actually all your work, but you can subcontract it out. ;)

OP
OP
paul barker

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 snails 6 hermit crabs 2 green emerald crabs 3 small fish all doing good I blacked out my tank and going to bring the ph up and po4 up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back