What is this? And how do I kill it?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me a lot of bryopsis but it's not even remotely green/blue. It feathers out at the ends and is brown/tan. It also grows as individual strands relatively far apart not going in clumps like BHA or GHA. It's also very easy to remove with a tooth brush unlike HA.

Its also not dead bryopsis as it grows back (in different spots) after being brushed from rock and scraped from glass.

PS I'm waiting for a new test kit in the mail so I'm not 100% sure what my parameters are but I hand feed pellets carefully, I'm under-stocked, and my nutrient export is pretty good.

PPS. I am considering doing a 3 day blackout and heavy water change. I'm 95% sure its photosynthetic as its not present in my sump at all, which is unlit. I just added some new corals so I want to give them a week to settle before stressing them with a blackout.
PS
Screenshot_20200103-160208.png

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but reminds me of caulerpa when it starts to shoot off new leaves. They have that white feathery appearance. Do they stay like that for more than 2 or 3 days?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but reminds me of caulerpa when it starts to shoot off new leaves. They have that white feathery appearance. Do they stay like that for more than 2 or 3 days?

There are no runners making me think its not caleurpa.

unless I scrub it off with a toothbrush the stuff remains largely unchanged for days at a time.I'm doing weekly water changes to create some additional nutrient export/overturn so I run a toothbrush across all the rockwork before sand vacuuming. I guess I could experimentally leave some in place next time and see if it progresses.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? It seems to be photosynthetic because a 72 hour blackout followed by a 15% water change killed off a lot of it but not all of it. It's starting to creep back.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give us a couple of more shots and preferably with white light? I think this would help in ID'ing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back