What is this ? And is it Good or Bad ?

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)
I have these little things all over my glass…
Could someone please let me know of they are Good or Bad and what exactly it is ?
Thank you very much

0E549557-348E-4C36-9106-32D00641B877.jpeg 3D19355E-122C-4B93-A55C-885B09730F70.jpeg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flatworms; some are okay, others you'll want to get rid of. I can't identify the particular species and hope someone else can.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by finding pics of flatworms on net for comparison purposes, and hopefully you'll also find references to a few articles. And, of course, watch them to see if they cause any damage in your tank.

They resemble some I have in my refugium and I believe mine are harmless, but you may not want to take a chance. Anyway, may want to syphon out/net as many as you can. Some species seem to come and go.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone ever wants flatworms but some are less problematic than others.

For your specific case, maybe post what kind of corals you're keeping to see if experts have thoughts on whether or not they may be a problem for your corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ghost/acoel flatworms. Theyre not an issue opposed to red planaria however in numbers, they can smother and block the light coral need for production of zooxanthellae which is their building blocks.
Easiest Removal is siphoning with a 3/8" tubing and discard. If in Heavy number, utilize a wrasse that will eat them such as :
Yellow coris
6 line
lunare
Melanurus

OR
Springieri damsel

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost/acoel flatworms. Theyre not an issue opposed to red planaria however in numbers, they can smother and block the light coral need for production of zooxanthellae which is their building blocks.
Easiest Removal is siphoning with a 3/8" tubing and discard. If in Heavy number, utilize a wrasse that will eat them such as :
Yellow coris
6 line
lunare
Melanurus

OR
Springieri damsel
+1; after studying pics sure look like ghost flatworms. If you search Reef2Reef you'll find mixed results for various chemical compounds used to kill them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1; after studying pics sure look like ghost flatworms. If you search Reef2Reef you'll find mixed results for various chemical compounds used to kill them.
Chemicals are a Last resort
With flatworm stop you have to siphon the dead ones daily as they can release toxins

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by finding pics of flatworms on net for comparison purposes, and hopefully you'll also find references to a few articles. And, of course, watch them to see if they cause any damage in your tank.

They resemble some I have in my refugium and I believe mine are harmless, but you may not want to take a chance. Anyway, may want to syphon out/net as many as you can. Some species seem to come and go.
Thank you very much !!

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone ever wants flatworms but some are less problematic than others.

For your specific case, maybe post what kind of corals you're keeping to see if experts have thoughts on whether or not they may be a problem for your corals.
Thank you for your reply. I only have soft and LPS corals- like euphyllia acans mushrooms zoas

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris
6 line
lunare
Melanurus

OR
Springieri damsel
Yellow coris
6 line
lunare
Melanurus

OR
Springieri damsel
Thank you very much ! Very Helpful !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back