What is this and should i be worried?

Lyngsaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the side of my acan i spotted some white boubles i have 6-8 on the sides and below the frag . What is it? Sponge/egg or?

And more importantly is it something i should worry about and if so how do i deal with it?

Sorry for the poor picture but it's the 2 white boubles im trying to id. Have 4-6 om the other side of frag. Corals is fully inflated during the day but notice tentacles are out.

Thank you in advance
Søren

IMG_0040.jpg

Taylorjohn1005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the third picture today I have seen for the same problem..lol..they look like pineapple sponge..filter feeder that appears when too much food is in the water column..almost harmless ..will dissappear when they don't have enough food .

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i manually remove the sponge if it start to overgrow the coral
You can, but pineapples don't generally get very big and just seem to go away over time. I've personally never removed a sponge and never had a severe reaction from any of my corals. Of course your mileage may vary.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i manually remove the sponge if it start to overgrow the coral
Yep and I woukd disagree with then only exsiting when to much food is present as any mature reef tank will have sponges in it thats a sign of it being healthy it may disapear from that spot and grow in a better place but they will still be there also everyone saying pinaple sponge may not be correct sponge yes but pinaple it may not be had to say without having it examined and depending on sponge type if it is an encrusting type it can overgrown the coral but yes just yank it off by hand with no problem

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sponges disapear from sight becouse most hate the light and live in benthic or cryptic zones where we cant see without turning over rocks in our tank

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worrie about it tho just let it go and if it tryes to over grow the coral either rip it off by hand or shot it with some air from a syring as air will kill most sponges

Back