0   0   0
9EA93F96-389D-4553-8287-4D535265E519.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the green algae and what eats it please?
There are several types of green algae commonly found in the hobby. A little more info is needed... Can you easily pull this off the rocks? Do the individual pieces look branching? Depending on the type of algae it is, different methods of removal are used. What type of clean up crew do you already have?

OP
OP
365reefing

365reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t come off easily at all! I have blue leg and other hermits, astrea snails, baby pencil urchin, nothing eats it!

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be some sort of turf algae , possibly bryopsis if its fern like going to need a better look at it.
don't do anything crazy just yet.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's hard to pull of the rocks, it's either bryopsis or green turf algae. Either one is incredibly difficult to remove using normal methods. The only things that will eat either one are urchins and crabs.

Make sure your cleanup crew is appropriate for your tank size (half of what reefcleaners recommends is a good long term amount, what they recommend is okay short term to help with problems).

This algae I would treat with fluconazole (reef flux). Throw a bag of gfo/phosban as well as something to help keep nitrates in check like purogen or NoPox dosing. Add enough reef flux to your main tank to exceed the directions (round up to the nearest capsule) and also in your saltwater storage barrel. Turn off skimmer the first week. Do 10-25% weekly water changes with this water until you see the algae dissappear. Once it's gone resume normal 10% weekly water changes with no reef flux.

I used this procedure plus restocking my cleanup crew to go from a tank with 8 times as much algae as yours to completely algae free (except weekly cleanings of film algae on glass) and 2 nitrates 0.02 phosphates in 6 weeks. Bryopsis gone in 2, all other algae gone in 4, nutrients under control in 6. Though to be fair, my tank was 7 years old and I wasn't overfeeding. My problem was 100% just a bryopsis infestation I let go out of control when my son was born.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a small tank like Yours, you can just pull the rock out and scrub it really good with peroxide/water mix or just straight peroxide.

Rinse in fresh salt water or rodi and your good to go.

The real goal is to find out what's causing it to grow so fast.

What are your n03 and p04...actually what are all your numbers lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's hard to pull of the rocks, it's either bryopsis or green turf algae. Either one is incredibly difficult to remove using normal methods. The only things that will eat either one are urchins and crabs.

Make sure your cleanup crew is appropriate for your tank size (half of what reefcleaners recommends is a good long term amount, what they recommend is okay short term to help with problems).

This algae I would treat with fluconazole (reef flux). Throw a bag of gfo/phosban as well as something to help keep nitrates in check like purogen or NoPox dosing. Add enough reef flux to your main tank to exceed the directions (round up to the nearest capsule) and also in your saltwater storage barrel. Turn off skimmer the first week. Do 10-25% weekly water changes with this water until you see the algae dissappear. Once it's gone resume normal 10% weekly water changes with no reef flux.

I used this procedure plus restocking my cleanup crew to go from a tank with 8 times as much algae as yours to completely algae free (except weekly cleanings of film algae on glass) and 2 nitrates 0.02 phosphates in 6 weeks. Bryopsis gone in 2, all other algae gone in 4, nutrients under control in 6. Though to be fair, my tank was 7 years old and I wasn't overfeeding. My problem was 100% just a bryopsis infestation I let go out of control when my son was born.
^^ THIS

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back