What is this and why is it here

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m back, got some algae/bacteria issues. I think it’s dinos but idrk. Last time I had stuff like this I solved it with dosing nutrients as I was told it was dinos. This time my levels seem pretty okay so I’m not sure why I have them.

Nitrates ~10
phosphate 0.08
4975E45D-31C9-4DB3-BB7F-89455027A4FB.jpeg
C5B6678B-CD1D-4745-B368-425FE9037E9C.jpeg
54260C52-B198-4830-A630-C789C6608471.png

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell with blue lights but looks like just your usual algae. If you suspect dinos and don’t have microscope grab a coffee filter and put some of the stuff in question in the filter and if they group up within a couple min most likely dinos

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the fact that it’s growing around and on corals tells me it’s dinos but what is causing it because I have higher nutrients IMO for dinos... do I feed or dose nutrients? What do I do here

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the fact that it’s growing around and on corals tells me it’s dinos but what is causing it because I have higher nutrients IMO for dinos... do I feed or dose nutrients? What do I do here
I think you’re nutrients are good, I wouldn’t raise much more. I would get a cheap microscope on Amazon ($16) to get a proper ID. I agree, very odd for them to show up with those levels.

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re nutrients are good, I wouldn’t raise much more. I would get a cheap microscope on Amazon ($16) to get a proper ID. I agree, very odd for them to show up with those levels.
Gotcha well whatever it is I can’t find the reason for its existence which is my problem. Without knowing what’s causing it I can’t fix it.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha well whatever it is I can’t find the reason for its existence which is my problem. Without knowing what’s causing it I can’t fix it.
Manual removal with a 50 micron sock or smaller and increasing biodiversity is pretty universal methods of fighting any dinos. If it’s ostreposis a UV will help a lot since they go into the water column at night

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal with a 50 micron sock or smaller and increasing biodiversity is pretty universal methods of fighting any dinos. If it’s ostreposis a UV will help a lot since they go into the water column at night
I guess I’ll give it a go. I’ve been using a tooth brush to the eggcrate to remove as much as possible!

I’ll try and get some vibrant or MB-7

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’ll give it a go. I’ve been using a tooth brush to the eggcrate to remove as much as possible!

I’ll try and get some vibrant or MB-7
Im sure you know just make sure you’re testing if your start dosing vibrant or MB7 since they can drop N03 sometimes. I’m using MB7 on my fight against dinos and have had no affects on N03 though

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and prepare to siphon it all up. In addition clean filters daily (such as fiber-fill or filter socks) Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria to tank during the day and 1ml of peroxide per 10 gallons at night and reduce white light (or even turn off) for at least 7-10 days

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure you know just make sure you’re testing if your start dosing vibrant or MB7 since they can drop N03 sometimes. I’m using MB7 on my fight against dinos and have had no affects on N03 though
Cool cool thanks man feedback is helpful

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and prepare to siphon it all up. In addition clean filters daily (such as fiber-fill or filter socks) Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria to tank during the day and 1ml of peroxide per 10 gallons at night and reduce white light (or even turn off) for at least 7-10 days
Thanks buddy!! I’ll try and start with those things ASAP. What about green and red LED’s? I’ve turned my whites, reds, greens down but should I put them at 0 for the next week or two, the greens and reds? I’m cleaning my filter socks right now lol

Eb1air

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just experienced what looks like the same I used dino x but it killed almost all my sps and acropora rapidly but idk if it was dino that killed them or the dino x but the stuff really worked to beat it after battling it for months

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think think its Dinos. Ive been dealing with same brown hairy algae for awhile now. Nutrients stable, everything stable for months.
Honestly wasn't until I realized that my filters where bad in my rodi and I got on serious clean up duties it is finally starting to subside!
Check your rodi water.
I added bag of phosguard and have been cleaning for couple weeks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
T

Thanks buddy!! I’ll try and start with those things ASAP. What about green and red LED’s? I’ve turned my whites, reds, greens down but should I put them at 0 for the next week or two, the greens and reds? I’m cleaning my filter socks right now lol
both red and green at 4% or under for now.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both red and green at 4% or under for now.
Do you think this is Dinos? Ive been dealing with the same stuff. Very fine hairy brown algae looking stuff that does capture bubbles. Exactly this stuff in thread.
Mine very well could be Dinos. Even though ive had my nutrients pretty locked for awhile now. My source water has been suspect. I'm sure my water has been super high in silicates as I let my rodi go.
Asking for my own sake as well so i better know how to attack situation.
So far just getting my rodi problem solved. A few water changes and some serious clean up has seriously knocked it back.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think this is Dinos? Ive been dealing with the same stuff. Very fine hairy brown algae looking stuff that does capture bubbles. Exactly this stuff in thread.
Mine very well could be Dinos. Even though ive had my nutrients pretty locked for awhile now. My source water has been suspect. I'm sure my water has been super high in silicates as I let my rodi go.
Asking for my own sake as well so i better know how to attack situation.
So far just getting my rodi problem solved. A few water changes and some serious clean up has seriously knocked it back.
Appears to be. Microscope can verify it but not everyone has one.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be. Microscope can verify it but not everyone has one.
Thank you sir. Man ive been dealing with this stuff for forever.
I now that I have source water in check. I may dilute some of this 12% peroxide and try dosing for a cpl weeks.
Do you know if you can dose peroxide and run phosguard at same time?
I'm trying to rid my system water of any junk my rodi has been dumping in!

Back