What is this black substance in the "mouth" of my Zoa?

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I looked at my zoas today shortly after the light went on. There was a strange black rippling substance peeking out of the "mouth" at the center of the head. I took some photos but it's a bit hard to see. The black substance has now disappeared and is no longer there on the zoa.

20210823_094140~2.jpg

20210823_094140.jpg

20210823_094226.jpg

Any ideas what this is? And what I should do about it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, its mouth is also its butt!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Open mouth/ defecation. It’s how the Zoa expels waste after digesting

I'd be inclined to agree, there was a zoa pooping question just the other day. In this case though I'd say this looks more like the guts. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Usually poop is one long thin string-like thing. Your description 'black rippling substance' is more inline with guts that looks like a mass of brown and cream colored ramen.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be inclined to agree, there was a zoa pooping question just the other day. In this case though I'd say this looks more like the guts. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Usually poop is one long thin string-like thing. Your description 'black rippling substance' is more inline with guts that looks like a mass of brown and cream colored ramen.
Based on the picture, I’d say it was defecating and the mouth remained open after the waste had been expelled, when the photo had been taken. Hard to tell without seeing the waste though

OP
OP
InvertGang

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the picture, I’d say it was defecating and the mouth remained open after the waste had been expelled, when the photo had been taken. Hard to tell without seeing the waste though
From what I could tell, I didn't see anything ejected out of the mouth. I saw a couple more with the same look today too.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Agreed, def not trying to be a contrarian lol. His description was what caught my attention. At the end of the day if it's open and looking happy that's all we want.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back