OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of leathery soft It does not look like the pictures of scroll algae I've seen. It is tightly adhered to the rock. No sign of other layers growing. It is a very dark brown, not really translucent, although it is a little difficult to tell for sure since it is adhered so well to the rock.

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas on this? In the photo, it appears to be above the surface of the rock, This is an illusion, the growth is tightly adhered to the rock. If I want to remove it, I would have to scrape it off..

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas on this? In the photo, it appears to be above the surface of the rock, This is an illusion, the growth is tightly adhered to the rock. If I want to remove it, I would have to scrape it off..
Do you see any holes in it like a sponge? I’ve seen pics of large brown sponges in the ocean but not in someone’s tank.

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No holes it it. My first thoughts when it appeared was algae or sponge but I haven't found a picture yet that comes close to what I see. I'm sure there's a picture out there somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it. It began very small and has grown now for about 5 months.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No holes it it. My first thoughts when it appeared was algae or sponge but I haven't found a picture yet that comes close to what I see. I'm sure there's a picture out there somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it. It began very small and has grown now for about 5 months.
Sort of similar

A76F855A-7A0F-453A-9966-B8F76537AFDB.jpeg

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of similar, but different. This one forms a bowl and does not appear to lay flat against the rock like mine. The color in this picture is not nearly as dark, but reasonably close. It looks a little more leathery than mine.

I assume this is the scroll algae you suggested earlier? This one is definitely more attractive than what I have going on.

I also looked at pictures of scroll coral, but they didn't match up either.

Thanks for trying to help!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back